Drivers & Software

alistairsw
Journeyman III

Error writing to file atikmdag.sys

My system:

AMD R9 380

Desktop

Windows 10 64bit

Driver Version: 24.20.11016.4  (according to Device manager, properties, driver, driver version)

Display Devices: BenQ GL2450 59Hz

Philips 32PHT4012/05 59Hz

Motherboard + Bios Revision:

Gigabyte Tehcnology H81M-S2H Bios: American Megatrends F1

CPU/APU

Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz 4 Cores

PSU: I'm unable to work out what model this is very easily.

RAM: 8GB

The issue:

For a while I was using the amd settings application to update drivers and it worked temperamentally; sometimes allowing me to update, sometimes failing. More recently I have been unable to find that application on my computer and now when I attempt to install a driver from the AMD website directly I get the following error message: "Extract: error writing to file atikmdag.sys".

After retrying numerous times it seems to most commonly fail in the same place (on the atikmdag.sys extraction and at exactly 81%)

The exact file I try to run that produces this error is called: win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.8.2-aug27.exe

0 Likes
1 Reply
mostafa_0017
Journeyman III

To any lost soul who ends up on this shore by the Google tides you need to have enough free space both where you are extracting the installer ie: C:\AMD and surprise surprise your temp folder as well, if it's in your C partition then all you need is free space inside the C partition but if you moved your temp folder elsewhere (like me) then you need enough free space on that partition (2 GB should be enough).

0 Likes