cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

snipie
Journeyman III

No Mans Sky OpenGL

So I decided to get No Mans Sky after NEXT and as much fun as the game is, the performance is the worst I have ever seen at any resolution or quality setting.  I have gone through ALL the guides to help performance and nothing results in any improvement.  After researching it more I have found that mostly ALL the people with AMD cards have this issue, some are as bad ad mine and others are better.  I have tested this on 2 systems with AMD cards and both run like a pile of crap. 

My main system is as follows

Intel i7 970 3.5ghz

12gb DDR3 triple channel 1600mhz ram

Samsung SSD

Windows 7 64bit

and the other system

Intel i7 920 2.66ghz

12gb ddr3 triple channel 1333mhz ram

WD HD

Windows 7 64bit

I can get an average of 30fps on any setting but it will drop to 9fps and go as high as 50 (super rare but mostly in space)

I notice my GPU usage NEVER goes over 50% really and this results in the poor performance, I even noticed that when I get the huge drops my usage goes to 15%.  CPU never works hard and stays about 20 - 25% usage so its not a bottleneck.  It appears to be a driver issue, but alot of people say that game uses an Nvidia OpenGL profile which hurts AMD users.  I would like to know from AMD their thoughts on this issue.  The steam forums are filled with AMD users of various configs from high end to low end all experiencing this.

Thanks

7 Replies
sebadamus
Adept I

Same here... runs like crap on AMD, almost no matter what GPU...

0 Likes
lazylover
Journeyman III

All I have heard on this issue, regarding and actual explanation and not an excuse, is that amd just hasn't spent the money necessary on developing drivers and research for opengl (which NMS uses) so there's just always terrible performance, as you would also notice if you were to use a opengl emulator. That's also why nvidia runs NMS much better because they've actually delved into supporting opengl for their own extensions.

There has been instances on amd's part, where they have tried to release better support for opengl, but there has been bugs every step of the way, even to the point of causing BSODs on some devices, so until they actually put some real work into developing support for opengl, we amd users who just want to play no mans sky at something higher than 20 fps, are out of luck.

auerx
Journeyman III

In the same situation.

My RX580 8GB is doing great in any other game but this.

Great game, really a shame and makes me a bit cautious about getting another AMD card after this one.

I have no issues with a GTX 1060 3GB besides the lack of VRAM.

A

0 Likes
jakslap
Challenger

OpenGL Application run like crap on AMD hardware your only solution is to purchase a Nvidia card or if AMD are going to resolve this ongoing issue from 5 years now

0 Likes

Maybe they focus more info vulkan, don't know. I always "love" AMD stuff.

El 31 dic. 2018 03:25, jakslap <amd-external@jiveon.com> escribió:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: No Mans Sky OpenGL

in Drivers & Software

0 Likes
g_s7
Journeyman III

Still going on for me - I get around 20fps on any resolution. GPU rarely goes over 20% usage, CPU averages around 30% - RX470 4GB

0 Likes
auerx
Journeyman III

I fixed my issues with a RTX 2070.

All good now.

0 Likes