cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD Launches New, Much Cheaper Radeon Pro WX 8200

"Last year, AMD launched its WX 9100, a Vega-based Radeon Pro GPU with substantially higher performance and more ROPs than its previous GPUs, but a significantly higher price tag as well, at $2,200. Today, the company is following up that launch with a substantially cheaper WX 8200 at less than half the price.

The WX 8200 packs 3,584 GPU cores instead of 4,096, analogous to AMD’s Vega 56 consumer GPU, with 64 ROPS and slightly faster (2.0Gbps, up from 1.89Gbps) HBM2. Memory capacity is halved to 8GB, down from 16GB. Single and half-precision performance are modestly lower (10.8TFLOPS versus 12.3TFLOPs and 21.5TFLOPS versus 24.6TFLOPS, respectively).

What we have here, then, is an attempt by AMD to capture a more competitive position for its professional Vega cards by coming in well below previous price points. The card should be well-aligned given the competitive market. A Quadro P4000, for example, is based on GP104, but fields just 1,792 GPU cores in a configuration that’s actually a bit below the GTX 1070 as far as cores, texture mapping units, and ROPS. It sells for $800.

Given that the Vega 56 is typically measured as being about 8 percent faster than a GTX 1070 when running at a slightly lower clock speed, the new WX 8200 would be competitive if we were talking about consumer markets — but we aren’t. And in professional markets, performance has tended to favor Nvidia overall, thanks to optimization strategies and long-time professional software optimization expertise. That’s a nut that AMD has been trying to crack for years now, with varying degrees of success.

wx8200-Perf

Read article; AMD Launches New, Much Cheaper Radeon Pro WX 8200 - ExtremeTech

0 Likes
1 Reply
o_and_n
Adept I

Check out my thread(which doesn't have a answer by the way)

wx9100 and wx8200 are close to equal.Amd,will you fix it?

In my opinion,in raw vr power, the two gpus are completely identical which is bad.(apart from the 8 gb more memory on the wx9100 there is nothing else).I think that even the 1k price is too much for a vega 56 since amd has a 16 gb frontier edition and a pro duo Polaris 2x16gb at the same price,and here we get less memory for the same price.

In my opinion,who ever is making these decisions that cripple the gpus performance by bios driver and up the market price without giving more,shoud be held responsible as I don't see much competence in such actions.

And I stand behind my word,unless a amd employ doesn't make me understand otherwise.

0 Likes