cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pannik
Adept I

Driver issue? Or is my GFX card failing?

So my GPU is a Radeon R7 260. It IS a factory OC card, which I used MSI Afterburner to under-clock it a bit. After about 5 months one of my RAM cards went bad. Removed the bad card and all was fine. Until about 4 moths ago I started getting BSODs pointing to my AMD drivers (windows 7). This would only happen about once every couple weeks. Then one day, constant BSODs on startup, still pointing to my AMD drivers. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 after 3 hours of trying to get my PC started, thinking maybe it was a bootleg copy of Windows 7 causing driver issues. *NOTE my motherboard doesn't have on-board gfx.*

Was able to successfully install Windows 10, everything started up fine, and Windows installed "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." Thinking all was fine I downloaded my favorite PC games at the time (PUBG and Fortnite),they installed fine but attempting to run Fortnite I got an error "DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine", knowing this meant I needed to update my video drivers, then proceeded them to t he AMD Adrenaline (18.x) Drivers, and then I received a Windows 10 BSOD "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER" about 70% of the way through the driver install, the part where the monitor flashes to a black screen then back to your desktop. PC then restarted and went through its self repair because of the blue screen. It restored it to right before I updated the video driver. Did some google searching to find out what the problem was and still pointed to my video driver (obviously).

Thinking my PC was just a brick I used it only for viewing news and Facebook. Until one day i became bored and tried to watch a stream in 1080p, which I was able to, to my surprise. A buddy of mine about a month later who plays an older game, and offered me to come play, told him about the situation with my PC, he goes on a rant on how old the game was, blah blah blah. I decided to give it a try, and truth be told it works (about 22-38 FPS lowest settings 1360x768 resolution). Thinking all was fixed I tried Fortnite again and received the DX11 error again, tried updating video driver again, and the same BSOD "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER". Windows 10 restored itself to right before updating the video driver again. Used DDU to clean drivers (in safe mode) then windows reinstalled the basic display adapter.

I have tried almost everything I can think of to resolve this issue, re-seating card, using another PCI slot, making sure PSU was properly working. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this has been an on-going issue now and I would like to know if it is software or hardware issue before buying or replacing the card.

DXDIAG log link: https://pastebin.com/LpzqEepz

HWiNFO log link: https://pastebin.com/yyzmjhAB

0 Likes
7 Replies
pannik
Adept I

No one?

0 Likes

Fortnite freezes/crashes every time i open the game in latest driver 18.8.1

ps pls search for the game that creates the error - than we dont need 2000 threads about the same error ;p

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Unfortunately mine is not because of any game. I did reinstall Windows on a clean ssd, so no additional program taking in account here, and my problem occured 3 days ago, after it worked fine for around 3-4 years. I got the problem the minute I turned on my laptop, then it keep coming everytime I tried to update/install the driver. I have been trying the clean driver installation from DDU and AMD Cleanup Utility but nothing helps.

Could this be just a temporary bug that happens to some user? Or our chip just somehow unlucky and dead?

0 Likes

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-re...

did you disable Win10 auto-driver install?
also use https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei... to hide AMD driver update

than download latest driver & latest DDU

disconnect internet
run DDU in safe-mode
clean driver
after second reboot install latest driver
reboot again and activate internet again

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

That is not the problem at all but thanks.

ok

0. disable Win10 auto-driver install
1. download DDU (latest version) & download latest AMD driver
2. disconnect internet
3. run DDU in safe-mode (either go into safe-mode on your own, or start ddu and check "Enable safe-mode dialog" - than close programm and start again and choose safe-mode - your pc will reboot)
4. clean driver in safe-mode - your pc will reboot after that

5. install latest AMD driver

6. when all stuff is finished: enable internet again

then pls test with Furmark if you GPU is damaged
also check temps

0 Likes
lupin4302
Journeyman III

I found out this is kinda weird because I just have a exact same problem with my Dell laptop with HD8850M but also haven't came up with any solution.

It was 3 days ago when I just turn on my laptop and got greeting with BSOD with the same "Thread stuck in device driver". First I thought it was just some corrupted file during Windows update because I tried to restart my laptop and end up with the same BSOD, so I just Reinstall Windows on the new SSD. Everything was fine until I try to update the GPU driver through Device Manager. It showing the same Microsoft Basic Display Adapter so I just right clicked and find update online, then my laptop goes frozen. I tried with so many approach on internet, using scf /scannow in cmd, DDU to clean uninstall, update all other driver/Windows/BIOS/Chipset but as soon as I update or tried to install AMD driver(using updating from all source i can think of, Device Manager, Dell driver support and from AMD site), it frozen. I do succeed to turn "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" into "AMD HD 8850M" by update it in Safe mode boot, but I am not be able to boot back to normal mode because BSOD keep showing up until I went back to Safe mode and uninstall the AMD driver.

So I was rooted with the conclusion that my GPU is now dead, but now I see your post and I think that it might not be a coincident.

0 Likes