26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2018 10:50 PM by upulnc

Gaming card together with Radeon Pro WX 5100

upulnc

Hi,

My son is going to build a new system. I bought a Radeon Pro WX 5100 card for him to run SolidWorks and alike. But he insist that he wants to play high end games like Need for Speed, FIFA also. I saw NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 and Quadro P600 both cards can run together as they both share same driver. Can anyone suggest a similar solution so that I can save the money spent on Radeon Pro WX 5100.

Thanks in advance

• Re: Gaming card together with Radeon Pro WX 5100
          jargon

If you intend on using AMD Crossfire for higher performance in games than with a single card, just remember that Crossfire compatibility and performance varies with each game, and that Crossfire performance is usually at most ~30% better than a single card.

The consumer counterpart of the WX 5100 is the RX 470 8GB. You should install the workstation drivers with the WX 5100 installed, then use the multi-driver feature to switch to the latest gaming drivers when you want to use the RX 470.

You shouldn't have very high expectations of the WX 5100's gaming performance though - the lack of a PCIe power supply connector means that it draws at most 75W from the motherboard's PCIe slot, and the cooling solution will be loud and probably inadequate when running intense gaming workloads.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            upulnc

tried Radeon RX 580 and Radeon PRO WX 5100 in the same system. they can't co-exist. Auto-Detect and Install Radeon Graphics Drivers for Windows software crashes when run. Adrenalin Edition 18.10.2 doesn't recognize PRO WX 5100 and also crashes. Device Manager shows an exclamation on PRO WX 5100.

Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise works with the WX 5100 card making it primary but makes RX 580 idle. still doesn't crash.

any new ideas on how to use both cards in the same machine. don't need to use both simultaneously. Isn't it possible to disable 1 card in Device Manager, reboot the system and use the other card, vise-versa? I mean booting for SolidWorks using PRO WX 5100 and rebooting again with RX 580 for games...?

elstaci

I remember that fsadough mentioned that the Professional GPU driver doesn't support consumer GPU cards according to this earlier thread: https://community.amd.com/message/2881998?q=pro%20gpu

Copied from thread link above:

Re: Radeon Pro WX 3100 + Radeon R7 430 = "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems" Code 43

fsadough

You combine a Gamer board with a Workstation board, this is not supported. 18.Q3.1 is a workstation driver and does not support Radeon R7, that's why you get the error code. Without a MST-Hub you will not be able to get 5x displays from any low-profile graphics card. If you have to have 5x displays. Return the WX3100, remove the R7 and purchase and install a WX4100 + a MST-Hub.

sakuramichitsuki

I checked the previous reply,

First of all, AMD Crossfire can actually bring a lot of performance improvements.

and I think you can try the Vega Frontier (although perhaps the suggestion is too late now)

and about driver....Please try to read the following link:

https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/driver-options-user-guide.pdf

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    billy72

Hi upulnc

sakuramichitsuki has shared the driver options link for your WX 5100, you can change from the Pro driver to the Gaming driver from the AMD Control Panel.

WX5100.PNG

I don't know if WX 5100 with Gaming Driver it's ready to support the games desired to play by your son, I know if you decide try to manage a multi GPU system with different drivers you will have the headache assured, I honestly do not recommend it.

If you need help about the steps to follow to Install or remove the drivers for your WX 5100 …. welcome back!!

Regards

upulnc

Thanks for the reply. I already tested the Pro driver with Radeon PRO WX 5100+Radeon RX 580 8GB set-up. Monitor connected to RX 580. System work without crashing. But PRO driver doesn’t recognize RX 580. An exclamation mark on RX 580 in Device Manager. I didn’t test all the software for compatibility.

Adrenalin Edition 18 driver install without an issue. But crashes immediately. gave up running both cards together. Removed WX 5100 and now system running with RX 580. I don't want to run games on PRO WX 5100. I want to make WX 5100 primary and disable RX 580 when I want to run Solidworks and vise versa when games played. some way to switch between PRO and gaming cards.Will install SolidWork on RX 580. Hope AMD will provide some kind of solution to switch between a PRO card and a gaming card.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

sakuramichitsuki

I suggest you try to contact AMD Customer Support Center.

Such problems do exist. For example, workstation users have a high-performance computer that can be used not only for productivity but also for games.

Or another solution

Install two drivers like WX 7100 and RX 580

WX 7100 for productivity and 580 for games

Or the "mixed crossfire" you mentioned

For example, the WX 9100 and RX Vega, through the crossfire to get a great upgrade (even just in the game), so that users have a better experience

Support Ticket Process | AMD

billy72

I'm a user like you, I'm not Pro, I'm not an AMD employee, I'm not a Developer or an Engineer.

AMD will not provide you the solutions that you are searching, the multi GPU debate has been much discussed, I have also wanted the same as you ... more options to choose. If one day AMD builds its own motherboards and designs its own OSs only then it would be a real possibility, and that is so far from happening.

The fastest and most stable way right now is to have two separate systems, one for Work and another for Gaming and Entertainment.

I would love to be wrong in this matter

sakuramichitsuki

I understand what you mean, and I will report your ideas (also my ideas) to AMD in some way.

Of course, if you prefer, you can also report this idea to AMD through the AMD Customer Support Center(Support Ticket Process | AMD ) or other means.

upulnc

I wrote to AMD and explained the necessity of this setup in the context very powerful pcs in homes shared by family members for different purposes. Enabling the user to switch between workstation graphics and gaming will persuade more users to go for high end systems because as they can share other hardware, users can spend some extra and build a high end system and still save lot of money needed to build two different systems. If we raise more voices, AMD might hear and listen.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

billy72

First of all I want to apologize to you for if in my previous answer I have given you understand some kind of disappointment on my part and it is not, right now I have two separate systems with Radeon Pro WX 7100 and Sapphire Pulse RX 580 and I am very satisfied with the stability and performance that my PCs offer me.

For me they were other times when I was looking for the same thing that you are chasing now and for this reason I will not follow your steps, I will continue to wait for an AMD OS for the lack of respect that Microsoft shows me and in the meanewhile I will continue enjoying the invaluable effort that the AMD Developers make every day for the OpenSource Project and maintaining a high degree of evolution even through the disastrous Windows 10 …. and I will wait sitting and with my feet on the floor

I’m aware that I must be more explicit the next time and that my attitude is not exemplary

. but

I'm aware that Your Attitude is Exemplary, because by contacting AMD about your disagreements you are showing that you want the best for your family and consequently for you ….  that’s the way!!      Thank you very much!!     I feel very grateful to you!!

I wish all the best for you and your family and please don't forget share your experience

elstaci

As fsadough (AMD Employee and Expert on Professional GPU Cards) mentioned:

YOU CAN"T HAVE A CONSUMER GPU (RX580) and a PROFESSIONAL GPU (WX5100) ON THE SAME MOTHERBOARD OR COMPUTER.

The Driver for the Pro doesn't work with the Consumer GPU and the Consumer Driver doesn't work with the Pro GPU.

As billy72 mentioned you will need to have to have two computers setup, one with the RX580 and the other for the WX5100.

sakuramichitsuki

If you try to install the latest version of Radeon Software Adrenalin... maybe you can find something interesting

rx-fe.PNG

upulnc

Hi all,

thanks a lot for all for all the comments and suggestion!

my religion teaches me, answers outnumbers questions in this world. you have more answers to each and every question you encounter. there are no questions/problems without answers/solutions.

I found a answer for this question. dual boot. Bought another hard disk (more spending ) and installed another instance of Windows 10 Pro on to it. one instance named "Gaming Boot". other "CAD Boot". in Gaming Boot, Radeon Pro WX 5100 is disabled in Device Manager. in CAD Boot, Radeon RX 580 is disabled. even though my LG UHD monitor has 3 inputs (1 DP, 2 HDMI), connecting both cards using 2 cables freezes Windows in boot. have to restart again to boot into (changed) os correctly. Therefore, for the moment, I will use 2 DP extenders and manually connect monitor to relevant GPU. bit hassle there. also had to disable 'auto update drivers' in Windows otherwise suddenly Windows enables disabled card. And also, because there is not enough space between 2 cards (RX 580 on x16 and WX 5100 on x8), RX 580 is getting hotter than previous. therefor I thought of taking the WX 5100 away from the motherboard using a pci-e riser cable (out of the casing). That's it.