35 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2018 11:46 AM by punkmunster

Crashing in multiple games

agentparsec

I've been having an issue lately where my graphics card (Radeon RX-480) appears to crash at random times when playing games.  This happens most frequently when playing Overwatch, where it will either scramble the display and force a complete restart of the computer, or it will cut the signal briefly and give an error that says "Your rendering device has been lost".  Other games have had various graphics crashes as well (VRChat, The Long Dark, Just Cause 2, Sea of Thieves, etc.).

A computer repair shop tested the graphics card in a different machine, and it ran fine, so it's not the card itself.  After this, I reset Windows 10 and tried playing Overwatch again afterwards; it seemed to run fine for a couple of hours, but then the display scrambled, started turning off and on, and finally I got a blue screen as the whole computer crashed and force restarted.  I have run a memory test on my computer and found no errors, so now I'm concerned it's the motherboard (I figure it is most likely the motherboard and not the processor, since I don't seem to crash when I'm not running 3D games).

My system specs:

Processor:  AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor 3.90 gHz

Memory:  10.0 GB RAM DDR3

Computer model:  HP Envy h8-1534

Motherboard:  M3970AM-HP (Angelica2), with AM3-b processor socket

Graphics:  AMD Radeon RX-480

• Re: Crashing in multiple games
          dstmnd89x

You forgot to list the specs of the most important piece of hardware... your power supply! ...but a quick search suggests that it runs a 460W, which is kind of the bare minimum for a discrete card and 6-core processor.

The RX 480 doesn't require a lot of power to run properly, but if you've got a cheap OE power supply you could run into issues after hours of prolonged and heavier power draw. I'd recommend picking up a quality 500W unit and giving it another go.

pokester

Do the following things and you will likely see your issues go away.

1.) In Radeon Settings / Gaming Tab / Global Settings (top left) / Global Wattman: down bellow the fan settings, slide the red "Power Limit" horizontal slider, all the way to the right to it's maximum. This will allow the card to receive more power. Don't worry this is still in the safe limits of the card and is not an over volt.

2.) Windows Power Plan setting to  "High Performance" if it is not already.

4.) Disable "Fast Startup" (Windows 10 Only)

5.) Disable all Microsoft Game Features like "DVR" in Settings Game (Windows 10 Only)

You can Google any of these on how to do it.

After this you will have a much better gaming experience with your AMD product, as this fixes about 95% of any current problems.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              agentparsec

Okay, while it seems like it's improved, I just had a crash in Sea of Thieves a few moments ago.  It gave the following error:

agentparsec

I might have found the problem.  Remember earlier when I said I ran an extension cord to another room to avoid tripping the breaker for my den?  Well, I put it back in the regular outlet, and now the crashes appear to have stopped.  I just played about 3 1/2 hours of Overwatch without a crash, my longest in a long time.  I don't understand WHY that might have fixed it, but I'm grateful either way if it does.

Now I just have to figure out how to solve the den breaker problem.

agentparsec

I take it back.  I had Sea of Thieves and Overwatch crash on me again, so that was not the problem.

Currently I'm trying a different power supply.  I swapped mine (550W) with my wife's (650W).  If it works, then I know the problem was a bad power supply.  It may take some time though; the crashes do appear to be completely at random, and it went at least 6 or 7 hours of gameplay before it happened again.  That being the case, when the computer store tested the video card for 4 hours, maybe it just didn't have the issue at that time, meaning that it might still be the video card...

agentparsec

I haven't posted in a while, but it's time for an update.

The power supply was not the issue, the game continues to crash.  I have one recourse for testing left, and that's to swap it with the video card on my wife's computer to see whether it crashes or not.  The big problem, however, is that she doesn't run any graphically intensive games like I do, sticking mostly to MMOs.  To test to see if they would trigger the crash, I loaded one of the MMOs she plays (Mabinogi) on my computer and left it running for almost a full day.  No crashes.  But then I started up Fallout 4 and got a crash within 5 minutes, and another after about 2 hours of gameplay.

I'm going to try and see if a utility like OCCT, if left running long enough, will trigger it.  If it does, then I can just load that utility on her computer.

agentparsec

I just ran OCCT for 4 hours with no crash.  This has become really frustrating, because I can't seem to find a reliable way to make it crash, which makes testing nearly impossible.

When I get the chance, I'm just going to install Overwatch on my wife's computer, put the video cards in it, and give it a good 8 to 10 hours of gameplay.  If it does the video crash even once, I know the card's the problem.

pokester

I don't know about see of thieves, I do not that historically Overwatch is a game that has lots of crashes even the Nvidia guys complain about it. I think for such a big game it has a less than stellar optimized engine. Not trying to point the finger elsewhere either as I fully realize it can be related to just about anything. As you already discovered figuring out what is tough!

Another thing worth trying is to disable Full Screen Optimizations for that game. Right click on the .exe file for that game and the check box is on the compatibility tab.

agentparsec

I think we found the answer!

So I put the card in my wife's computer, and hers in mine, and her computer did the same crash, meaning it had to do with the card and not the motherboard.  However, she noticed something in the way it crashed that led her to believe something was happening with the drivers, like Windows was trying to update the driver automatically and failing.  She messed around with the Windows 10 settings, and found something that may have fixed it, so I put the card back in my computer and changed the same setting.  Here are the steps:

1. Open the Control Panel (search for it with Cortana if needed).
                          2. Go to System & Security > System, and then click "Advanced system settings" on the left side.
                          3. Under the Hardware tab, click "Device Installation Settings".
                          4. Set automatic download to "No".

Since I changed this about day and a half ago, I haven't had a single crash (that's the longest it's gone so far without one).  If it goes the rest of the week, I'm going to declare success.

agentparsec

Okay, I think I finally found the trigger.

I was beginning to suspect my HTC Vive had something to do with it, since I had gotten it around the same time that the issues started.  I decided to try a test.  I reinstalled my drivers and restarted the computer, and started using it normally except that I did not power on the Vive (I usually have it unplugged from power when not in use, since it overrides my speakers and microphone).  After doing this, I went for about 3 to 4 days without a crash before deciding to power on the Vive again.  As soon as I powered it on (which I did for just a minute, and then powered it off and completely unplugged it again), I had a crash within about 20 minutes, and another one about 15-20 minutes after that.  I restarted again, leaving the Vive unplugged, and everything worked normal again.

For some reason, the Vive coming online is doing something to the system that is causing it to start having this glitch.  All it took was the system recognizing the Vive for merely 1 minute for it to start acting this way.  I figure it has to be something with the way the system is treating the monitors, like the Vive coming onto the system is confusing it somehow.  The video card feed shuts down momentarily as if it is switching monitors or installing new drivers (even though nothing actually installs), even once the Vive is completely removed from the system (both the USB and the HDMI unplugged).

I know what the trigger is now, but as for fixing it, I have no idea.  My only option currently is to just restart the computer after using the Vive as a workaround, unless someone can suggest something else to try.

cretsiah

Now you've mentioned VIVE

https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=23700&game=HTC%20Vive

which has a 4-6Gig requirement as well (and thats on win7), its no wonder its crashing

this set up would pretty much wipe out my sons specs... he would be looking for something with min 64gig ram.

agentparsec

So I have further refined the Vive issue.  I've been running everything fine for quite a while without any crashes simply by not using the VR system, or by restarting after using it.  Recently, I started up SteamVR by accident and closed it; keep in mind that the VR system was not even plugged in or powered on.  Shortly after this happened, I had a crash, and after restarting it went back to normal as usual.

I now believe that it's not the Vive specifically that's causing the trouble, but SteamVR.  I will be focusing my attention on that instead, to see if maybe there's some aspect of SteamVR that stays active even after it is closed.

cretsiah

sorry if i gave the impression it was vive, i was trying to suggest that i believe the culprit to be the system ram limitation.

overclocking and page file writes can only do so much for the lack of ram available.

"I will be focusing my attention on that instead, to see if maybe there's some aspect of SteamVR that stays active even after it is closed."

let us know how this goes, because I would still be interested....... mainly because I know how normal steam upsets my computer (being a weaker build than my sons running win7 with 8gig ram) currently, even with overlays and stuff turned off.

cretsiah

My private opinion only

I dont know enough about the differences between the cards and their capabilities, however Im almost willing to bet there just isnt enough ram between the OS, Video Card, Virus Firewall protection to run with only 10gigs and maybe a dust blow out too would help.

your system specs:

Processor:  AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor 3.90 gHz

Memory:  10.0 GB RAM DDR3

Computer model:  HP Envy h8-1534

Motherboard:  M3970AM-HP (Angelica2), with AM3-b processor socket

Graphics:  AMD Radeon RX-480

Im Wondering if it isnt a RAM issue

My sons Specs:

Processor: AMD FX 8320 Eight-Core Black Edition CPU 3.5GHZ

Memory: 32 GB RAM 1600mhz DDR3 (27% free)

MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-970A -D3P

Graphics:

Now Primary: MSI TwinFrozr vi Radeon RX470 8G GDDR5 (requires 8gig ram to run, says it on box)

secondary (origonal NVidea Ge Force GTX 740 2Gig): GeForce GTX 740 2Gig

runs all games on high since the rx470 was put in

Sample of normal apps running: (ie constantly running)

Win10

Discord

Steam

Opera Browser

Norton Security suite

Warframe

other background junk unsure

punkmunster

Hi, 10GB ram… Do you have two memory sticks? Thanks.