Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
From what I have read so far, this is a very common problem with AMD cards.
Anyway, here is a run down of how I got to my current problem:
- Was playing X-Plane 11 when suddenly the game crashes and a notification pops up saying something about "Wattman"
- Weird artifacts start appearing.
- Restart system in an attempt to fix problem
- Windows states that it cannot start and attempts to restore without avail.
- I completely reinstall windows including all windows updates.
- Everything working as it should except system is running on "standard VGA adapter" hence why I am able to write this post.
- As soon as I install any AMD driver (have tried several!), it goes to black screen after the windows logo at start up.
- I restore to uninstall the AMD driver and everything is stable.
Things I have tried so far:
- Uninstall AMD drivers in safe mode with DDU
- Updating BIOS
- Installing different AMD driver versions
It seems my hardware is OK as I am currently using the "standard VGA adapter" driver from windows and my monitor is plugged into my graphics card so my suspicion is that it is a software issue.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8320 3.5GHZ
RAM: DDR3 16GB jm1600klh-8g (transcend)
GPU: Sapphire Redeon Vapor-X HD 7950 3GB D5
OS: Windows 7 64 bit home premium service pack 1