9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 4:05 AM by kc5vdj

The Legendary Black Beast of Aaargh!

kc5vdj

Description

My main rig, pretty decked out now.  This form is a bit limited.  Full specs at: https://www.overclock.net/forum/rigbuilder.php?do=rig&action=view&id=6159400&title=The+Legendary+Black+Beast+of+Aaargh%21

The Legendary Black Beast of Aaargh! makes all lesser rigs "Run away!", and gnaws off the kneecaps of any better rig!

LBBoA.on.Black.Brushed.Aluminum-1080p.jpg

The Aquaero has since been updated to the new firmware and the 2018 version of AquaSuite.

IMG_20180606_170849844.jpg

This pic shows the interior after drive upgrades and fan upgrades a month ago prior to the T.B. Vegas exhaust fan:

IMG_20180616_135654463_LL.jpg

And finally with the last up the upgrades, the Enermax T.B. Vegas Quad fan which my wife, Kayla described as an "gaudy, over the top, overload of colors", which of course means that I love it because she is suitably annoyed by it!  Honestly, it really does look good!

IMG_20180622_022142224.jpg

Late update: The FINAL upgrade for a while has been installed.  This is an alcohol fueled bending unit, Bender B. Rodriguez.

IMG_20180730_112725983_LL.jpg

Specifications

CPUi7-4790K
      CoolerCorsair H100i V2 with Enermax D.F. Storm fans on an Aquacomputer Aquero 6 XT with Phanteks RGB Halos on the fans
      MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1-WiFi-BK
      Memory32GB (4 x 8GB) G.SKILL Trident X DDR3-2400 (10-12-12-31)
      GraphicsMSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming 4G
      Disc Drive 11x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, 1x Crucial MX500 500GB
      Disc Drive 22x WD 12TB Gold, 1x WD 6TB Gold (for games)
      Disc Drive 31x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 (SATA) in the Silverstone MS-09 USB 3.1 Gen 2 M.2 enclosure
      PSUCorsair HX650
      CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D, with 2x Enermax D.F. Storm fans in front with Phanteks RGB Halos, and 1x Enermax T.B. Vegas Quad for rear exhaust
      MonitorLG 43UD79-B 43 inch 4K IPS 60 Hz
      HeadphonesBeyerdynamic DT-880 Pro 250 Ohm Impedance
      HeadsetSennheiser PC-37X (Massdrop)
      StereoPioneer SX-316 into some wall-mounted Sony bookshelf speakers
      MicrophoneBlue Yeti Pro
      CameraLogitech C922 Pro webcam
      USB

dodocool PCIe x4 dual USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbit/s x 2)

NetworkingAsus XG-C100C PCIe x4 10 GbE Network Adapter

Message was edited by: Jim Bryant - Added some items to the list

Message was edited by: Jim Bryant Added bending unit.

Message was edited by: Jim Bryant - Added dual USB Type C card and 10 GbE card.

• Re: The Legendary Black Beast of Aaargh!
          red5

Thanks for including fan info.  Always nice to get a real-life view of an LED fan in action.

kc5vdj

well, good fans can make a huge difference.  i noticed about a 5C drop when running the corsair rad with the D.F. Storm fans at 2700 RPM (same as the corsair fans), with about the same noise level.  As for the D.F. storm fans in front of the drive cages, the HDDs dropped 10-12C when I swapped out the default corsair case fans for the D.F. Storm fans, and I run those at about 2500 RPM.

The Phanteks Halo RGB add-ons for fans without RGB actually look nice, I have them with a rotating red/blue yin/yang thing going on.

It can get costly, but fan replacement can make a huge difference.  I have about $130 in fans in here now, and on top of that, $80 for the Phanteks Halo rings.

The system itself was built in 2015, but the RAM upgrade (went from 32GB of RipJaws X to 32GB of Trident X), the Fan upgrades, the HDD upgrades (was five 3TB WD Greens), and all that have put some more years ahead for this rig.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              colesdav

Hi,

Nice to see someone else still running an i7-4790K.
              I have i7-4700K and i7-4790K's ... I don't think Intel didn't bring anything worth upgrading. 
              What is the lcd on the front panel for - is it just a fan controller?
              Is this it?
              Aquacomputer aquaero 6 XT USB fan-controller, graphic-LCD, touch control, IR remote control | Controllers | Air cooling …
              Thanks.

kc5vdj

Right now, it's a fan controller, but it is FAR MORE than just fan control.

This can control pumps, fans, do temperature sensing, control relays, all sorts of stuff.  Because of the current draw of the Enermax D.F. Storm fans, I can't run them on the Corsair pump's fan controller, and since at a later date, I still want to get this in a full custom loop, I figured what the hey, go for the best loop controller on the market.

The Corsair AIO is still controlled by the iQue software, but the fans have to be controlled on the Aquaero.

With the 2018 software for the Aquaero released a few weeks ago, it actually now also can function as a DSP bar display spectrum analyzer for audio as well.

Yes, it's the AquaComputer Aquaero 6 XT.

colesdav

Thanks for the info about the AquaComputer Aquaero 6 XT.

It looks iinteresting to me.
                      My main PC is a Corsair Obsidian 800D case so ~ similar to yours.

kc5vdj

I started with the original 750D, but upgraded to the high airflow front, but that although an improvement, only exposed the default 140mm case fans as a weakness.  they just couldn't push enough air through the drive bays directly behind them.  switching to the enermax d.f. storm fans definitely did the trick.  if you are looking to control high amperage fans or a full custom water loop, the money is well spent on the Aquaero, but if all you want are some standard airflow fans, there are cheaper options.  Like I said, I intend to eventually go full custom loop in this one, so I see the Aquaero as an investment, plus it was one of the few that can handle the full amperage of four D.F. Storm fans.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      colesdav

Hi.
                      I forgot to ask, is the Teapot on top of the PSU a permanent feature?
                      Thanks.

kc5vdj

Just a little ornament that I found at a thrift store for a buck or something which I put in when the rig was built in 2015.  At that time, I had a patch going in the yard with some "Moon and Stars" heirloom seed watermelons.  It's kind of stuck with the rig since, including through the upgrades to the rig over the past few months, so, yeah, I guess it's a permanent ornament.

darkwolfca

great build and bender is nice