8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2018 8:55 PM by Obi-WanKenobi

Valkyrie SMP 2014

Obi-WanKenobi

Description
      My old name was Tylosaurus Proriger, changed it to my nick name from 1983 as "Obi-Wan Kenobi" After going to the Premiere of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" in the Brisbane Cinema back in 1983, I been an Obi-Wan Kenobi fan ever since and this name kind felt fitting

My main system for Video editing, Game server for Primal Carnage: Extinction, Space combat & Flight Simulators but also playing games that take use of the Vulkan API
      I made this server in to al all in one gaming  system workstation and server a system for all sorts of workloads  it's Vega 64 really brings it to life.
      Sapphire system.jpg
      That letter is the one I got from Ruby

Ruby's letter.jpg

Specs.jpg

Vega 64.jpg

Here the wallpaper I am using for this monster that I made with my R9 Fury on the other system before I got my Vega 64 in Subnautica  @ 1920x1200x32 in max settings:

Gaspods.jpg

Specifications

CPU12-Core AMD OpteronMP 6180 SE D1 Mangy Cours CPU's, 24x 2.5Ghz, 2x 6MB L2 & 2x 12MB L3
      Cooler2x Noctua NH-U9DO A3's
      MotherboardSupermicro H8DG6-F with Dual AMD SR5690 North Bridges & 1x SP5100 South Bridge
      M South Bridge.emory4x 4GB + 4x 8GB HP-Micron PC3-12800 ECC Reg | 48GB DDR3-1600 ECC Reg @ NUMA Quad Channel 1333Mhz
      GraphicsSapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 PCI-E 8GB 2048 Bit HBM2
      Disc Drive 1Corsair Force3 240GB SATA III SSD
      Disc Drive 2Plextor PX-B950SA BR-RW Single Layer, Dual Layer & DR-3D BR-RW Supported
      PSUSeaSononic Platrinum-X 1000 Watt 100% Modular PSU
      CaseLian Li Tyr PC-X2000B with Lian Li W-X2000B Side Window Kit
      MonitorHewlett Packard ZR24w 24" S-IPS Panel - 16:10 Aspect Ratio - Max Resolution: 1920 x 1200 x32 @ 60 Herz
        • Re: Valkyrie SMP 2014
          Obi-WanKenobi

The system upgrade for this system willget the following new parts

2x 16 Core AMD EPYC 7351 CPU's 32 cores / 64 Theads @ 2.4Ghz base speed & 2.9 Ghz Turbo all cores
          8x 16GB DDR4-2133 ECC Reg
          Supermicro H11DSI-NT (Retail)
          2x Noctua Coolers for SP3 CPU's

colesdav

Hi,

Your post raised lots of questions for me.

I really like the Green Cold Cathode Lighting - or is that a pair of Yoda's Lightsabers in your case? I guess the blue ones are yours?
              What are those holes in that letter?
              Is that a cup mark on the letter?

On a serious note - is that Sapphire card a Limited Edition model or the newer version without Vapor-X cooling - what is the Sapphire Part Number?
              The card looks really big, but maybe there is a support bracket under it?

Bye.

Obi-WanKenobi

Firstly many thanks for your kind reply

And yes it came with a Support bracket yes but that was added more for marketing I believe, it offered me no actual use...
                  The card is fitted sturdily without any sagging possibilities, it's being supported from the rear so that support bracket was not even needed in my situation

And yes this is  the re-release of the Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Limited Edition , it's the re-relese with 2x PCI-E 8 pin connectors instead of 3x 8 pins, as you can see a preview of my card here at Tweaktown:
                  SAPPHIRE tweaks RX Vega 64 NITRO+, drops to 2 x 8-pin PCIe

So i waited until this release came around She runs beautifully Witcher 3 runs butter smooth with this card @ 1920x1200 & 2560x1600 without any hesitations.
                  it rarely reaches 55C as well, 47 to 51C mostly with 94 to 100% GPU usages if the temp does exceed 55C the fans spin for about 30 seconds and the temps go back down to 47C and 2 hours later  it kind of repeats this Vapor-X Chamber works like a miracle

I went from an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 to this RX Vega 64 Nitro and I wish I went Vega 64 much earlier but then again at least I managed to get the best air cooled Vega 64 on the market so as that goes very very happy with it

the CCFL's are all from Revoltec, my system has 2x green 30cm, 2x white 30cm and 2x Blue 10 cm, the RX Vega 64 is in Rainbow mode, just to add more colors in there

Even so I need more blue up tops, the green tends to be a very dominant color even over the blue I added in there. The white lights kind of neutralize the mixed color effect.

The black holes are bullet holes and the cupmark is the half rounded part yes, the letter was also made yellow so it looked as if Ruby used recycled paper or just to give the letter a more classified look to it.

colesdav

Hi,

So is this is your card name:

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2

and product number.

• 11275-03

Reason I ask is that card is selling here at ~ 514.

1I did not think it has any LED's on the back plate though and the descriptions says nothing about Vapor Chamber Cooling.

The original Limited edition was selling for up to 1000 here and it has the following name:

SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2 Limited Edition
                      and product number:

• 11275-01

They have 3 PCIe connectors and are not available for purchase.

Maybe your Vega 64 version is not listed on Sapphire Website yet?

What did you not like about the GTX 1080? here they are cheaper than RX Vega 56 and they are also 2 slot high.

I use CCFL's on one of my PC builds. Two  blue to match sapphire GPU color and another par of red ones which as supposed to show off AMD colors. It has full Corsair Link RGB watercooler, pumps and fans and Led strips, but I simply prefer the CCFL tubes for some reason.

Bye.

Obi-WanKenobi

Yes my SKU = 11275-03-40G product name is Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2
                          GPU speed = 1630Mhz which is faster than the LE which runs at 1611 Mhz

here my GPU-Z info with max FSAA & AF driver settings :

Vega Ready.jpg

If I click Lookup I get directed to this page:
                          Sapphire NITRO+ RX Vega 64 Limited Edition | TechPowerUp GPU Database

Could be a mistake from GPU-Z tho

As the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 went I had lots of driver issues , web acceleration was very poor and image quality was less great less vibrant and Radeons have warmer colors that have a much higher color fidelity as well, I compared my R9 Fury  with my GTX 1080  with the same monitor side by side and the Radeon showed better  image quality, but also the 1080 has no 5K IPS support the Vega 64 does and if I wanted a NV board to give me 5K I would have to take one of their 1300+ euro TITAN-X /Xp boards and  for 650 Eur I got a Vega 64 that can do 5K just as good just with better image quality so as that goes I am happy I done this, even tho I won't leave out NVIDIA as optional choice, I just was sick of the constant black screens they kept giving me I went to them to report my issue, but I only got answers I already knew and after that they ignored my posts  customer support is terrible on their end so Iwas kind of done with NV for the time.

So yeah that got me to get a RX Vega 64 from Sapphire's Nitro+ series and this does me well so far

colesdav

Hi

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that card had LED backlighting they make no mention of it on product support page and the main Sapphire Nitro+ webpage only features the original 11275-01 'Limited Edition'. A price of around 514 for 11275-03 does look interesting.

I am running an Nvidia GTX 780Ti and two R9 Nanos on this PC at the moment. I am only driving 3 1080p monitors though. Not really noticed difference in the display quality at that resolution with these monitors.

I am looking to build a Threadripper PC with 4 Vega 64's if I could get them in 2 slot high format with good aftermarket coolers.
                              Alternative I have looked at are GTX1080Ti's.

I guess I could remove the shrouds from Vega64 and add waterblocks and a proper liquid cooler but I would really prefer not to do that.

I do plan to for a high quality display so thanks for pointing out differences in image quality  you see on the GTX1080 versus the RX Vega with high resolution screens.

Nvidia support forums seem o.k. for me so far. I have one support ticket open with Nvidia at the moment and the response speed / quality is similar to AMD for me.

Anyhow I am glad you are happy with your RX Vega 64 and thanks for confirming the product number of your card.

Bye.

Obi-WanKenobi

Oh no worries man I use HP ZR24w Professional HS-IPS panels  I used on both cards the DVI-D and the Radeon destroyed the 1080 when it comes to image Quality& fidelity I seen it with my own eyes after having well over 800% Graphics cards since 1985 I  can determine image quality quite easy

You can read what I did for the 3dfx community here, as 3dfx goes I used to beta test x-3dfx & 3dfxzone.it drivers for the 3dfx community with never released 3dfx Engineering Samples, at EVGA a neutral NV related forum I always had kind comments from their members there I did a review on what I did for the entire 3dfx community:
                                  https://forums.evga.com/3dfx-Voodoo5-6000-5000-World-Owner-Lists-Reseach-What-I-did-for-the-3dfx-communities-m2185131.as…

Here my old collections of cards I used and collected over time:
                                  https://forums.evga.com/Meet-my-VGA-Table-Dinosaurs-Minerals-Jet-Starfighters-to-everything-else-m2030876.aspx

Those two topics should give you an idea one what I am experienced with and such, ATI now AMD always had an upper hand in image quality over NVIDIA , always even that matrox was always the king at image Quality Mastery, their infamous Matrox Millennium G200/400 series to their Parhelia's these things were the top of the range when it came to 2D & 3D Image quality and image fidelity ATI &late AMD kind of took over  this strategy for giving the user the best image quality possible at the best possible framerate over pure speed and applying image quality reducers just to gain more performance like NVIDIA has been doing over many years.

And well after seeing this video and the bad customer support NV gave me well I decided to stand clear from NVIDIA for some time now, they have ruined more companies than actually saving , preserving left alone using their better idea's.. instead they wiped out companies that actually had fabulous and ingenius creations and tried to copy idea's from others and trying to make it their own.

Nvidia - Anti-Competitive, Anti-Consumer, Anti-Technology - YouTube

I don't feel like supporting such companies tbh.

For your renederbox? It's simple use Quad Radeon Pro WX9100's these have 16GB HBM2 like Vega FE,  yet these have native Windows Server 2016 driver support this way you shall have no need to use treacherous Win10 Pro x64 and it's leak ware, but I'd go for a Dual AMD EPYC 7351 with a Supermicro H11DSi-NT and use PCI-E extenders for the extra GPU's PCI-E 3.0 x8 or x16 won't really matter then either, all because youd be using these for CAD, Content Creation and dedicated Rendering as in Direct Compute applications etc.

if MS ain't your way of flying, just go Linux KDE x64 instead that with Quad Vega FE's and water cool those, don't waste money on aftermarket designs.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Obi-WanKenobi

Ran my SCP: Secret Laboratory Server last night and thanks to the Unity Engine this engine utilized all my 24 cores in a very levelled workload over all 24 cores from 60 to 74% usage, here a screenshot
                        SCP- SL loves SMP.jpg

We stress tested it, all 24 cores peaked to 100% and remained deadstable during all tests, looks like my dedicated server for SCP will turn out just fine with this Dual 12 Core AMD OpteronMP 6180 SE D1
                        Plus gaming on it , it's RX Vega 64 does a great deed for that part as well.