AnsweredAssumed Answered

Ryzen's windows 10 powerplan

Question asked by idiocracy on Jul 1, 2018
Latest reply on Jul 3, 2018 by wimpzilla

So this is my first AMD build since xp1900 or whatever it was called, been an intel user until a week ago.

From the asrock page i've installed "AMD all in 1 driver ver:17.40.2815.1010_WHQL" and updated the bios that includes "1.Update AMD PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.2a"

In the power management page you have this "AMD balanced power plan" but i noticed the cpu almost never speedsteps under 3ghz. I couldn't understand that, the cpu was using ~3% and was still running at +3.5ghz which just seems unnecessary.

After googling it i found others experiencing the same thing. Apparently it's the setting in the AMD installed power plan. Minimum cpu state was set to 90%. So i set that to 5%, but even then the cpu almost never speedsteps under 3ghz even tho it's doing nothing but streaming some cats on youtube. Actually it rarely goes under 3.7ghz.

So what gives. Why is the default AMD installed power plan setting for minimum cpu state 90%?

Why isn't the cpu speedstepping when not used?

Is that just how ryzen works. And i should just forget what i've been used too from how intel's speedstepping works?

Outcomes