6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 2:15 PM by pokester

Can someone guide me to undervolting an RX 580?

dirthurt

I'm actually not mining (crazy I know), but I would love to shed a couple degrees off my card at the same framerates, if possible.

Anyone know any, generally, save undervolts I could try?

I read one post saying 1050 max is pretty good, but I didn't know if that much would affect performance.

Very new to this, so please be patient with me

• Re: Can someone guide me to undervolting an RX 580?
          pokester

Typically you don't want to undervolt. Most that do this don't understand the correct way to go about handling the heat and throttling. You want to raise the power limit slider to +50 then you want enable Chill and control your frames by limiting to the max and min refresh rates of your monitor, or 1 inside of max and min is what I do. Then if the temps are going to high you will want to change your fan temperature to kick the fan on high sooner by lowering it to around 60 to 65. This will give you much better results. I can get you a screen shot of my wattman settings on my RX 580 later if you like. I'm not at home now.

dirthurt

Well, I'm not really targeting the highest performance.

I'm just as, if not more concerned with noise and heat. That's why I was looking at undervolting. If I can dock the heat down just a tad, without sacrificing clocks, I can keep my performance without having a screaming loud GPU. At least, that was my theory.

I've tried radeon chill, but I can't handle the framerate fluctuations it causes. It's quite jarring to me. I'd rather just lower the overall framerate target.

pokester

I get that and the directions I gave you do that. My answer was to directly answer what you asked not to improve performance. Not sure why you have a frame rate issue with chill, it works perfect on my system but I realize even with the same cards everyones mileage varies. The drivers are designed already to dynamically clock based on demand. Unfortunately it is the fact that the driver seem to already under power the cards to begin with that cause issues resulting in many cases excessive heat. I would still suggest raising the power limit slider and using a custom fan profile then to control your heat. Raising that power limit slider doesn't always give it extra power, that is dynamic to, it only allows more to be available when it needs it. I can tell you that while other advice here tells you unless it is over 90 it isn't an issue. Even the AMD specs say this, many of us, self included with RX580's have found we have to set our cooling limit thresholds around 60.

dirthurt

Well, Radeon Chill literally lowers your framerates when it thinks you'll not notice. I just happen to really notice the drops, even if much isn't happening on screen. I wish I didn't, but it is certainly there. Freesync helps with it, but it doesn't eliminate it. I also sense that slight delay between when I start moving and when the framerate jumps back up, and it's jarring.

Wouldn't raising the power limit just create more heat though? I get that it's dynamic and will only apply when needed, but if I'm already stable at my clocks...I'm not sure how it's going to help me.

Sorry if I"m missing something obvious.

Having a temperature threshold of 60 seems intense. I think my card idles in the 40's. How do you deal with the fan noise?

pokester

I realize it seams counter intuitive until you realize it is the lack of a proper power ceiling that causes the issues to begin with. Chill just helps keep you, within you your refresh rate range on your monitor, it does a lot of great stuff IMHO and works great for me, and also does this without introducing lag like FRTC or VSync. If you are not on Freesync or it is not helping you then by all means don't use it. I find it works great. I have my fan set to run max at around 65 degrees. The defaults wont even max the fan and they won't even go up to the ceiling they are set at until you like over 85 degrees and for many of us with rx580 we have found that is unstable and too late. Like I said if you are interested I'd be happy to share a screen shot of my settings with you. You don't have to stick with any advice, no guarantees as every situation can be different but what your issue is not a new issue, it is literally the same problem that brought me to these forums to begin with. As far as fan noise goes I don't hear them even at 100% they are quieter than the fan on my CPU. I also use an open case design and have a small box fan that blows toward the cards and motherboard. My idle temps are in the mid 20's.

black_zion

All GPUs are different in terms of what the lowest voltage they can tolerate is, and what appears stable can turn out to still cause problems, so just like overclocking you will have to adjust the voltage of the highest P state down a little at a time. Heat isn't a problem unless you are getting temps over 90*C, which you won't with that card unless you spin the fans slowly. As for noise, you shouldn't have a "screaming loud" GPU unless you for some reason have a reference edition card, and you should use Frame Rate Target Control to limit a card's overperformance.