cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

whyisitso
Newcomer

I am a 74yo who needs advice about compatibility.

My computer is a Gigabyte MMA770T-UD3P Rev 1.0 m/b with a Athlon Phenom ii X2 550 running Win 7 pro 64 bit. I have decided that it probably is the time to upgrade to Win 10 Pro 64bit. Please advise me what challenges I may face in using this processor. Thank you.

0 Likes
4 Replies

The Processor will work fine using Windows 10.  The problem you may face is finding Windows 10 drivers for you motherboard.

Need to post your computer information according to AMD Forum rules: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION ​ .

According to Gigabyte Support for your motherboard it doesn't list any Windows 10 drivers for version 1.x., only Windows 7. : https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-MA770T-UD3-rev-15#support-dl-driver-audio  (Version 1.5)

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Initially I was seeking compatibility of my processor but on receiving the above reply above I see that it is best to supply all the details of my system. I purchased the system in November2009. I understand that the system is almost geriatric as far as electronics goes. However, providing the system will handle Win 10 Pro 64bit then I will hang in there until I must change because of the growing need to upgrade my system because of lack of drivers or the system can no longer support what is going on.. Initially I am considering dual booting my system so as I can get used to Win 10 before I change over completely from Win 7. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated. Below are the system specs.

pastedImage_0.png                             pastedImage_8.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_7.png

pastedImage_9.png

pastedImage_10.png

There we go. Hopefully this will give all info needed. Thanks

0 Likes

Yes you do have a rather old motherboard and computer system. Your ATI HD 4600 series GPU is not supported anymore by AMD with updated drivers. When you install Windows 10, Windows Update will automatically install the correct driver for your legacy AMD GPU Card.

Here is Microsoft's Windows 10 Requirements page: Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft .

Minimum Requirements copied from above link:

Processor:1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM:1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space:16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card:DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display:800x600

Your System seems to qualify for Windows 10.  Download the Microsoft Windows 10 Upgrade Checker and run it . It will tell you what components will need to have its drivers updated to work in Windows 10 from this Microsoft Website: Windows 7, 8.1 & 10 compatibility testing for Windows XP, Vista - Microsoft Community .

Copied from above link (Not sure if the Windows 10 Upgrade Checker still works) :

Test for compatibility with Windows 10

2.1  If you plan to install Windows 10, you need to check your computer’s hardware & software compatibility with the new OS.  Review the Windows 10 System requirements carefully; whilst it starts off with a simple table of requirements, there is an awful lot tucked away in its details [see also my section 3 below].

2.2  In addition to providing information about the chances of a successful installation, the compatibility reports will alert you to any hardware components that you will need to pay attention to afterwards.  See  Compatibility report for Windows 10 FAQ - Windows Help  &  Where to get hardware drivers.

You can click on the link from the copy above to download the Windows 10 Upgrade Checker.

Hardwood
Paragon

I'll just add.. when you  update to win10 your win7 install is bunched up into a folder in C: so you can revert back if things don't work out.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes