cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fenix7
Journeyman III

noisy fan

I have an AMD R9 390. Since a while ago I started hearing some strange noise from my case, I tried to find the source and it seems its one of the 3 fans of the Graphic card.

You can see that it is loose here : https://streamable.com/tijm5

I tried tightening the screws, but to no avail.

Anyone knows how to process? greatly appreciated

0 Likes
18 Replies

I would contact your cards manufacturer and see if they have a replacement fan available or if they can recommend a suitable replacement.

I did, they told me they can repair it but it would cost me 380$+shipping which is absurd. I can buy a new VGA with that much.

Wish there was a way to just fix this one as besides the noise everythings fine.

0 Likes

You didn't post the manufacturer of your R9 390 GPU Card. But there are several websites that sells replacement fans for that GPU Card model depending on the manufacturer. You going to need to find out the size of the fans being used and the locations of the screws on the GPU card.

Found this website that seems to sell many types of replacement fans from various manufacturers: MSI R9 380 390 390X GAMING GPU Cooling Fans Replacement– GPU Fan Replacement .

Found this at Ebay: Computer Video Fans Cooling Equipment for ASUS | eBay

Google the manufacturer of your GPU card for replacement fans and you should get plenty of information to find out if you can replace it or not.

Sorry I thought I wrote it. It's ASUS.

I live in Japan so I have to use Amazon japan instead of eBay, I found this link are they the same? also cost around 40 dollars but I only get 1, too expensive? https://www.amazon.co.jp/T129215SU-%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%AB%E...

thank you

0 Likes

Make sure it is compatible and same size fan as the one you are replacing.  I don't know how much the current rate is for GPU fans, Maybe pokester​ might be able to give some insight to that.

When you unwrap the fan packaging try not to damage it as least as possible in case you need to return the replacement fan back to Amazon.

If your GPU card is not under Warranty, then remove the Cowl (the plastic cover with the heatsink and fans) and see how the fans are connected. After replacing the fan, reapply Thermal paste to the heatsink on the Cowl and reinstall and see if everything is working correctly.

Doesn't Asus have a three year Warranty on their GPU cards? I have a Asus GPU card that has a three year Warranty on it.

0 Likes

It has a 3rd party warranty, the same company that asked 380$ for the repair.. and they only offered 1 year warranty.

0 Likes

So your card is Out of Warranty?

Went to Asus Support concerning this GPU Card (STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMING). Is this the same card you have?

According to Asus Warranty, this card has a Three year Warranty from time of purchase. STRIX-R9390-DC3OC-8GD5-GAMING Warranty | Graphics Cards | ASUS USA​ .

In fact, I believe ALL of Asus Graphics Cards have a three year Warranty.

Here is a PDF of Asus Warranty: https://www.asus.com/support/images/upload/warranty/us_Graphic%20Card.pdf​ .

I would strongly suggest to Contact Asus Support and see if they will honor your Warranty and repair your GPU fan free or at a low cost. Even if you bought the GPU card from a third party vendor.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by Contacting Asus Support and opening a RMA Ticket if possible.

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for the help. Yeah it says 3 year Asus warranty on the box. I initially contacted Asus Japan support center here. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- サービスセンター  a lady which I think was Chinese and was speaking kind of broken Japanese spoke to me, asked me for serial number, contact info, etc. then put me on hold and after coming back she told me to call the 3rd party warranty company I ended up calling.

Do you reckon I should call again and inquire about the 3 year warranty?

Thanks a lot for the help by the way

0 Likes

Contact Asus Support through Online Support Website. Ask them why Asus won't repair the GPU card if it is still within the three year Warranty period. Open a RMA Ticket Online with Asus Support.

I don't believe that the 3rd party vendor's Warranty supersedes Asus Warranty.

0 Likes

I have been trying to open a RMA ticket online with Asus Support for 30 minutes but cant figure out how. The official support page has nowhere to submit tickets and the closest I got was a mobile app called zentalk which was garbage and apparently discontinued...

0 Likes

This is Asus Support for Japan : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- サービスセンター .

The Link Above From Concerning Asus Support: ASUS - contact us by e-mail  and サポート 公式 | ASUS 日本

0 Likes

Thanks. It is as I feared, Asus us washing his hands of responsibility on that page and asking users to contact the 3rd party vendor whose label is pasted on the box.

I guess I will have to replace the fan myself.

Thanks for the continued help.

0 Likes

Well, Sorry I can't be much of a help since Asus obviously has a different Warranty policy in Japan than in the North America. 

Since the one year Warranty from the 3rd Party vendor probably expired, I would have thought that Asus three year Warranty would then go into effect for the last two years of the Warranty.

It is possible that the 3rd party vendors Warranty nullified Asus Warranty. Just guessing. Only Asus can tell you the legal reasons for not repairing your GPU card under Warranty through Asus.

0 Likes

Well next time you know who's card NOT TO BUY.

0 Likes

Asus has a different Warranty in North America. It still is three years, all you need to do is send in the Serial Number of the Asus Product and date of Purchase and from where and Asus will honor your Three year Warranty on the GPU card. Even if you bought or received the GPU card second hand.

Seems like Japan has different regulations concerning Warranties then North America and possibly Europe.

0 Likes

Wow, I'd sure remember that the next time I buy a card. I just contacted XFX on a 8 year old card for a new fan and they sent me the fan for less than $20. So guess who I will buy another card from.

0 Likes

A replacement fan on eBay should be very inexpensive. I have an Arctic 3 fan cooler on my old HD 6970 and they have fans for $5 should one be needed. Fact is none of them every did fail.

The Arctic cooler replaced a blower style fan which makes more noise than a jet engine.

0 Likes