cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

germitey
Adept I

The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 1920 x 1200 @50ghz or any other monitor listing as per the monitor specifications.

This is the error message I get intermittently and without warning!!

The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 1920 x 1200 @50ghz or any other monitor listing as per the monitor specifications.

Why is this occurring all of  a sudden, my system is nearly 4  years old, its a dell xps 8700, 32gb memory,  amd radeon R9 200 series graphics card, drivers are up to date,  tried a second monitor and same problem.

Is it the graphics card and if so has the warranty expired,  date of purchase 14 July 2014.  Fault started last week,   the OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Can you advise how to fix please as the only way I can get monitor back is a hard re-boot and then I get chrome saying " Not shutdown etc.  The monitor is a dell ultrasharp 23 ins.

thank you

germitey

0 Likes
1 Solution
germitey
Adept I

Just for information in case anyone else has same problem.  I changed the graphics card, not Radeon and problem solved.  Had card for over 3 weeks now and everything is perfect.  I will steer clear of Radeon for now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies
germitey
Adept I

STILL NO ANSWER

0 Likes
gdgamer
Adept I

1. Did you set your resolution and refresh rate to the monitor's native resolution and refresh rate? Seems that's what it's suggesting to do, and you haven't mentioned doing it yet.

2. Did you recently change monitors or the ports it's using?

0 Likes

What is the make & model of your monitors? How are they connected to the GPU Card?

What Resolution do you have your monitor set at under Windows Settings - Display?

What version of AMD Driver do you have installed?  The last supported Windows 8.1 for the Desktop R9 2xx series GPU card is here from AMD Support: Desktop .

NOTE: Just for your own future reference, AMD doesn't support Windows 8/8.1 anymore. So there will be no new drivers for that particular Windows OS.

0 Likes

@rdgamer,  its a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M  monitor, refresh is 60 hertz monitor sets resolution automatically so its 1920 x 1200 @60  and cant be changed to 50ghz.  Its worked flawlessly for years.  2

0 Likes

Please answer ALL information requests so we can better help you. Additionally, please install the monitor driver if you have not already. If you don't have it, it can be found here: Dell U2412M Monitor Driver | Dell US

Also, the monitor is not where the resolution/rr is set. Please verify your system is outputting the correct resolution/rr.

0 Likes

1.  dell ultrasharp.   2.  resolution is set at 1920 x 1200 @ 60 hertz.  I check by going " show the desktop, right click, screen resolution. 3. AMD driver is 17.7.1, crimson relive.  4. I have not changed monitors. 5.  Yesterday I switched ports on video card as I kept getting a blank screen.  6. The driver for the monitor is up to date and I just checked it again to confirm. 6.  I can verify system is outputting the correct resolution, I went control panel, appearance.

Also the error can occur without warning so may even be a keystroke!!  It happened just now and the error message has changed in that it says " set resolution to 1920 x 1200 @ 60hertz, it did say 50hertz previously. 

0 Likes

I  was expecting a reply but not sure if replies are from AMD support or just users.  I got the following explanation on DELL community and all I can say is that I was lucky for the last 4 years

But I now find on this forum I cant cut and paste so link is so long I'm not going to retype it.  In a nutshell DELL are aware for last 6 years about this issue but have yet to issue a fix.  All I can do is suck it up and not buy a new monitor or video card.

0 Likes

I am not with AMD, just trying to help. There probably is AMD users on here though.

You should be able to copy and paste. Try hotkeys instead of mouse click if it's not working.

I'm interested to see this article. That is unfortunate if they're aware and unwilling to fix it.

0 Likes

thank you for the tip, here is the bit I found.  Just a little update, I used VGA dor a few days, I changed the cable for a few days.  I did not like VGA so switched back to DVI.  What I do now is shut down PC over night and do a fresh start each morning, yesterday and today fault has not occurred.  It might go of its own accord.  I'm looking at an Imac in the near future.

This little problem appears to have been around for at least 6 years, and has happened to me since I purchased a SE2717H recently.

The glitch appears to lie with Dell's screen software which sometimes automatically deselects the cabling setting installed and selected by the user, while the screen is in standby mode. (Dells have the ability to connect via VGA, HDMI, DCI etc.). Not sure of the cause - that's for Dell to sort out and it's clear that they have not yet done so - but the solution which works for me is as follows :

When the message is seen, press the button under the screen next to the on/off button. This brings up a menu showing connection options, and the option selected is (in my case) "auto" rather than HDMI.

The other buttons under the screen enable you to scroll up and down the list to select the correct input. Once you are highlighting the correct input option, press the button below the (tick) icon and you're done - until next time.

0 Likes
solfilo
Adept I

I have a same problem.

My old comp: A8-7600, MSI A78M-E45 (VGA, HDMI, DVI)

My old monitor: Dell U2312HM (VGA, DVI, DP)

My new comp: Ryzen 5 2400G, MSI B450M Mortar (HDMI, DP)

My new monitor: Dell SE2717H (VGA, HDMI)

I can't install the Windows 10 on my new DIY configuration, because the monitor signals a same error message.

"The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 1920x1080, 60hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications."

Dell support thread 1: SE2717H, current input timing not supported - Dell Community

"and I can see Windows all is fine"

Because the monitor functions perfectly well in Windows which is what is supported here, we cannot exchange it just because the pre-Windows BIOS cannot be seen using HDMI. If you need to see the BIOS for some testing purpose, simply connect another monitor. At a minimum, you should connect the SE2717H via VGA to VGA cable on a different PC and see if the BIOS is shown."

Dell support thread 2: SE2717H, AMD onboard GPU, input timing is not supported - Dell Community

Dell is not going to buy and test on the retail AMD desktops.

We did test on our only consumer AMD Ryzen Inspiron 5675 desktop which has the Promontory X370 PROM4 chipset and a 7th Generation AMD A12-9800 with Radeon graphics (almost Ryzen 5 2400G, almost... ). We removed the AMD Radeon RX 580 discrete video card and connected in this way =

AMD Ryzen Inspiron 5675 desktop HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> SE2717H HDMI in port

We could see the POST screens and boot into the BIOS. My advice, forget the retail AMD onboard graphics and install a discrete PCIe x16 video card. Or report the issue to AMD as I stated above.

The HDMI cable works fine, connecting my old comp and new monitor. The new monitor can show me the old comp's post and BIOS, so the problem is between the Ryzen 5 2400G and the new Dell monitor. (from the first thread: "I wait gigabyte support but i think is not bios problem because i speak with other than have the same problem with other motherboards. All have the same problem with this cpu (AMD RYZEN 5 2400G and AMD RYZEN 3 2200G) have not display in this monitor SE2717H.")

I can buy a DP cable and try to install Win10 with the old monitor, but i think the problem with post/BIOS screen would remain and that is not an option.

Any idea? Or should I buy an another monitor?

Thank you!

0 Likes
germitey
Adept I

I never got an answer to this problem or I should say never got a solution that fixed problem.  I would not buy a new monitor.  My fault just comes and goes.

0 Likes

I just bought a new monitor (Acer Nitro VG270bmiix), it works perfectly well with the HDMI. I can go into the bios, I see the post screen.

It's a really sad story, that this Dell SE2717H monitor just doesn't work for Raven Ridge with HDMI cable.

0 Likes
germitey
Adept I

Are you posting on dell community or is it a different thread?   And are you saying the new monitor solved the problems and my fault could be  with the monitor??   I'm going to try a different graphics card in a few days but not very hopeful.

0 Likes

No, I didn't post on Dell community, just searched their forum.

Yea, the Acer Nitro VG270bmiix monitor can show me post and bios screen via HDMI. (MSI B450M Mortar + Ryzen 5 2400G)

Maybe discrete graphic card can help too. But I didn't want to buy a discrete card, that is why I have Ryzen 5 2400G.

germitey
Adept I

Just for information in case anyone else has same problem.  I changed the graphics card, not Radeon and problem solved.  Had card for over 3 weeks now and everything is perfect.  I will steer clear of Radeon for now.

0 Likes

I was searching around for answers and found this post. I ran into the exact same problem. My Dell SE2717H isn't compatible with the POST/BIOS screens using HDMI on my new HP Pavillion 590 with the Ryzen 5 2400G on-board HDMI. Seems to be ok if I use a VGA cable, just not HDMI.

0 Likes