cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hyyy6
Journeyman III

System Freezing On Detecting Hardware R9 280x

My setup is P8Z77-v, i7 3770k, 16 GB of RAM, R9 280x, 650W Chieftec Nitro series.

I've had this problem for over a year since Microsoft has released first Creators Update for Win10 (1709, if I Remember correctly).

Since then I couldn't install fresh GPU drivers, only some versions could be installed successfully. Then, after the release of 1803, I could neither delete nor install the latest driver even after clean Win10 installation. My system kept freezing on "Detecting Hardware", sometimes it would crash into BSOD with "Machine Check Exception".

Windows 10 was able to install some drivers by itself, but in would also freeze afterwards. However, driver still could be installed that way. If I tried then to remove driver with AMDClean-something-utility, it would crash. DDU could remove it, but system still would crash after every single time.

I've tried enabling/disabling iGPU, switching PCI-E slots, nothing helped.

I thought, maybe the GPU card itself is failing (I've bot a used one 4 years ago), and asked my friend's GTX 750, which worked perfectly.

Then I've decided to check one last thing and made a clean installation of Win7. And the latest 18.6.1 driver installed perfectly fine.

So the problem has clearly to do smth with AMD and Microsoft. Are there any known issues? If so, are there any plans to fix them?

PS. I've already tried almost every single way to fix it with my win10, but I've searched a lot, there were not so many similar issues. The only thing I haven't tried is updating GPU's bios.

0 Likes
12 Replies
davixolp
Journeyman III

wrote the same problem few days ago, I Rolled back to Win 8.1 and installed the manufacturer drivers for my AMD and still doing the same.... Y_Y

0 Likes

So DDU won't remove the driver in Windows 1803? And will Windows install it's own driver after DDU is run? (you will have to turn back on windows installing drivers by running DDU again and selecting that option).

I am wondering what driver version Windows would install for you.

You've tried a lot of what I would've suggested already...

0 Likes

DDU would remove driver in 1803, but after the successful removal the system would crash in about 20 seconds (I assume when windows tries to install drivers by itself). After rebooting I can see that there are no AMD drivers, it reads as default VGA. After Windows does install it's own drivers for video card, it would crash again, and after rebooting it was 17.-something, if I remember correctly. I can check again later if that would help.

0 Likes

hyyy6 wrote:

My setup is P8Z77-v, i7 3770k, 16 GB of RAM, R9 280x, 650W Chieftec Nitro series.

I've had this problem for over a year since Microsoft has released first Creators Update for Win10 (1709, if I Remember correctly).

Since then I couldn't install fresh GPU drivers, only some versions could be installed successfully. Then, after the release of 1803, I could neither delete nor install the latest driver even after clean Win10 installation. My system kept freezing on "Detecting Hardware", sometimes it would crash into BSOD with "Machine Check Exception".

Windows 10 was able to install some drivers by itself, but in would also freeze afterwards. However, driver still could be installed that way. If I tried then to remove driver with AMDClean-something-utility, it would crash. DDU could remove it, but system still would crash after every single time.

I've tried enabling/disabling iGPU, switching PCI-E slots, nothing helped.

I thought, maybe the GPU card itself is failing (I've bot a used one 4 years ago), and asked my friend's GTX 750, which worked perfectly.

Then I've decided to check one last thing and made a clean installation of Win7. And the latest 18.6.1 driver installed perfectly fine.

So the problem has clearly to do smth with AMD and Microsoft. Are there any known issues? If so, are there any plans to fix them?

PS. I've already tried almost every single way to fix it with my win10, but I've searched a lot, there were not so many similar issues. The only thing I haven't tried is updating GPU's bios.

I use windows 10 v 1803 clean with radeon cards and they are working ok. I suspect your driver stack may be mangled so if a clean is not working check for a motherboard BIOS and maybe even a video card VBIOS update.

Even my old HD 3650 works with Windows 10 fine. Now if only I could cut and paste my HD 7870 into my laptop.....

0 Likes

There is definitely something going on specifically with R9 series. I can't run the last several drivers on my R9 380x. I find that I can run DDU from safe mode and 18.3.4 is the last driver that would run the desktop without locking. The last truly stable driver is 17.10.1. You can find the older drivers here if you want to try: Previous 

Pokester, Have you bought that green gpu yet?

I have one, a 1050 ti. Works great. My kid is on it darn near round the clock. My RX 580 is running fine too with the latest drivers. Just need to get the 2 older ( HD 7950 and R9 380x) cards working now with current drivers.

0 Likes

I'll try this option later.

I wonder if they ever gonna fix that issue.

0 Likes

Installing version 17.10.1 worked, thank you very much.

Still really curious, why these problem are not considered as well-known and if AMD (or MS) would release an update with an announcement that issue was fixed.

0 Likes

I don't get it either. Just glad you found a solution, even if it isn't optimal.

0 Likes

Glad u found a solution, I am having a similar issue with my Radeon Pro WX7100. I can't install any of the 18Q* updates; the last stable version I can install is 17Q4 WHQL and that's what I've been sticking with.

0 Likes
Kurta
Journeyman III

did u solved it?

0 Likes