11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 9:08 AM by charlesisworking

System Freezing On Detecting Hardware R9 280x

hyyy6

My setup is P8Z77-v, i7 3770k, 16 GB of RAM, R9 280x, 650W Chieftec Nitro series.

I've had this problem for over a year since Microsoft has released first Creators Update for Win10 (1709, if I Remember correctly).

Since then I couldn't install fresh GPU drivers, only some versions could be installed successfully. Then, after the release of 1803, I could neither delete nor install the latest driver even after clean Win10 installation. My system kept freezing on "Detecting Hardware", sometimes it would crash into BSOD with "Machine Check Exception".

Windows 10 was able to install some drivers by itself, but in would also freeze afterwards. However, driver still could be installed that way. If I tried then to remove driver with AMDClean-something-utility, it would crash. DDU could remove it, but system still would crash after every single time.

I've tried enabling/disabling iGPU, switching PCI-E slots, nothing helped.

I thought, maybe the GPU card itself is failing (I've bot a used one 4 years ago), and asked my friend's GTX 750, which worked perfectly.

Then I've decided to check one last thing and made a clean installation of Win7. And the latest 18.6.1 driver installed perfectly fine.

So the problem has clearly to do smth with AMD and Microsoft. Are there any known issues? If so, are there any plans to fix them?

PS. I've already tried almost every single way to fix it with my win10, but I've searched a lot, there were not so many similar issues. The only thing I haven't tried is updating GPU's bios.

• Re: Windows 10 + AMD Drivers
          davixolp

wrote the same problem few days ago, I Rolled back to Win 8.1 and installed the manufacturer drivers for my AMD and still doing the same.... Y_Y

charlesisworking

So DDU won't remove the driver in Windows 1803? And will Windows install it's own driver after DDU is run? (you will have to turn back on windows installing drivers by running DDU again and selecting that option).

I am wondering what driver version Windows would install for you.

You've tried a lot of what I would've suggested already...

hyyy6

DDU would remove driver in 1803, but after the successful removal the system would crash in about 20 seconds (I assume when windows tries to install drivers by itself). After rebooting I can see that there are no AMD drivers, it reads as default VGA. After Windows does install it's own drivers for video card, it would crash again, and after rebooting it was 17.-something, if I remember correctly. I can check again later if that would help.

hardcoregames™

hyyy6 wrote:

My setup is P8Z77-v, i7 3770k, 16 GB of RAM, R9 280x, 650W Chieftec Nitro series.

I've had this problem for over a year since Microsoft has released first Creators Update for Win10 (1709, if I Remember correctly).

Since then I couldn't install fresh GPU drivers, only some versions could be installed successfully. Then, after the release of 1803, I could neither delete nor install the latest driver even after clean Win10 installation. My system kept freezing on "Detecting Hardware", sometimes it would crash into BSOD with "Machine Check Exception".

Windows 10 was able to install some drivers by itself, but in would also freeze afterwards. However, driver still could be installed that way. If I tried then to remove driver with AMDClean-something-utility, it would crash. DDU could remove it, but system still would crash after every single time.

I've tried enabling/disabling iGPU, switching PCI-E slots, nothing helped.

I thought, maybe the GPU card itself is failing (I've bot a used one 4 years ago), and asked my friend's GTX 750, which worked perfectly.

Then I've decided to check one last thing and made a clean installation of Win7. And the latest 18.6.1 driver installed perfectly fine.

So the problem has clearly to do smth with AMD and Microsoft. Are there any known issues? If so, are there any plans to fix them?

PS. I've already tried almost every single way to fix it with my win10, but I've searched a lot, there were not so many similar issues. The only thing I haven't tried is updating GPU's bios.

I use windows 10 v 1803 clean with radeon cards and they are working ok. I suspect your driver stack may be mangled so if a clean is not working check for a motherboard BIOS and maybe even a video card VBIOS update.

Even my old HD 3650 works with Windows 10 fine. Now if only I could cut and paste my HD 7870 into my laptop.....