Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

caretaker7
Adept I

Graphics Chipset changes after Updating Driver

Hello Everyone,

I have a laptop with AMD Radeon 520. After updating the driver,  it changed Chipset name to AMD Radeon R5 M330. After noticing this change I went to Device Manager and updated the driver from there which changed it back to Radeon 520. So is there anything to worry about?
I've tried Auto Detect Update and the manual one too but both changed it to R5 M330.
TIA

0 Likes
1 Solution

There really isn't a problem. The drivers just have different names for the same hardware. If you updated the drivers with drivers from AMD's website, you are probably going to be just fine.

If you want to go back, you can use the AMD driver uninstaller included with downloaded drivers from AMD's website. Or you can use Display Driver Uninstaller.

Then head to the laptop maker's support website and download the latest driver they offer for your specific model laptop. I don't recommend this action unless you run into problems with your current drivers. The drivers on manufacturer's websites are often left to version that are fairly close to the released WHQL version at the time of launch of the product, and they don't get updated all that much unless there is an issue with the one they released with the laptop.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

There really isn't a problem. The drivers just have different names for the same hardware. If you updated the drivers with drivers from AMD's website, you are probably going to be just fine.

If you want to go back, you can use the AMD driver uninstaller included with downloaded drivers from AMD's website. Or you can use Display Driver Uninstaller.

Then head to the laptop maker's support website and download the latest driver they offer for your specific model laptop. I don't recommend this action unless you run into problems with your current drivers. The drivers on manufacturer's websites are often left to version that are fairly close to the released WHQL version at the time of launch of the product, and they don't get updated all that much unless there is an issue with the one they released with the laptop.

Thaks a lot for taking out time to help .

0 Likes

Thanks for the help .

0 Likes

No problem! There is one thing to note that I failed to mentioned earlier. When you go to Device Manager and hit update driver, you are querying Microsoft's drive database, and you don't know what version of the driver you are getting until you get it. Microsoft keeps a store of WHQL drivers, which are tested drivers, but may not be the most up to date drivers, as not every driver that is released by AMD and other manufacturers gets the WHQL stamp from Microsoft put on it.

On occasion, this has caused problems for some users as it is not Microsoft's job to stay up to date on the drivers they keep in store, it is the burden of partnering with AMD and others to make sure drivers are up to date. Microsoft tends to retain a stable driver that is older as opposed to updating drivers as fast as AMD and others release them.

To summarize what I am saying, I usually bank on using the up to date driver directly from AMD's website and other manufacturers. I usually won't use Device Manager to update a driver for the reasons listed above. However, I ran into a useage case where the reverse was true just recently on my workstation at work. I needed to use an older driver to get the install to complete as the most up to date driver wouldn't work. Sometimes that happens too.

Anyway, just some additional info for you.

caretaker7
Adept I

Oh..

Thanks for the info

0 Likes