Journeyman III

[deleted]

[deleted]

0 Likes
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Not sure if i understood well your suggestions about the new Threadripper 2 cpu, let see if i can help you to get some clarifications:

To be honest i did not found any related new regarding your first point, until today.
The only news i could find out about the bios capacity issue come out today, i.e see Techpowerup.
This limited bios chip capacity used by manufacturers seems related on AM4 socket, from what report the article.
The news explain that the issue of bios capacity would be resolved dropping support of old Bristol Ridge cpu, the Ax-9xxx series.
Since Threadripper have his own X399 platform and socket, not sure this bios capacity issue would also apply to the new Threadripper 2, but who knows.

Not sure i understood the source voltage problem idea, i mean you would maybe need a bios update to support Threadripper 2 on previous X399 boards.
As AMD did when the 2xxx Ryzen series launched, to get support on the already existing x3x0 motherboards.
Personally i would not plug a cpu without be sure to have the proper motherboard bios support for it anyway.
If you a speaking about power consumption requirement for Threadripper 2, i think the 32 cores would cap at 250Watt by specs.
Maybe some existing X399 boards would not meet the power requirement for the 32 cores, hence it's not possible on these boards to add power connectors.
It would better buy a new motherboard with a power stage VRM able to sustain the new Threadripper2 power requirement, depending which model/vesrion you are looking for

Hope it help you, not sure where you got these interesting mixed informations, but would be glad you try to explain them. ^^
Ciao.

0 Likes