cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hejden
Journeyman III

AMF/VCE specifications? (Interested in chroma sampling)

I already saw the topic here:Can AMD APP (VCE) encode in higher chroma subsampling? , but since two years have passed, I hoped that there could've been some change.

I personally have an RX 480, but a colleague has a Vega 64 and I'd be interested to know if the new VCE version included on there has got the possibility to record without chroma subsampling.

I can't really find AMD specifications which would mention the GPUs' capabilities towards video encoding either, i.e. on Radeon™ RX 480, nor even on Video Coding Engine - Wikipedia.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Are you by any chance using OBS software. If you are then this website may be helpful: GitHub - Xaymar/obs-studio_amf-encoder-plugin: AMD Advanced Media Framework Encoder Plugin for Open ...

See if this website on AMF is helpful: https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/advanced-media-framework/

0 Likes

Thank you for replying.

I've looked through these links, but found nothing mentioning possible to be used chroma schemes.

I do use OBS Studio, but with the default plugin for AMF (I think it was forked from the Xaymar's version). While I have configured the colorspace to either RGB or I444 in the advanced settings + 709 set to full space, it still comes out as 4:2:0 chroma after the recorded video is saved.

Thus I thought there could be some sort of limit, since the encoder's settings do not have settings for the colorspace nor chroma.

0 Likes