Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

zzpajk
Journeyman III

Vega 56 overheating

Hi!

I've got 4 Vega 56 MSI stock air-cooled GPUs, but one is really struggling with overheating even with full fan speed.
I bought them all second hand, which pretty much makes the process of warranty claim a lifetime achievement.

So with that out of the question I felt no other choice but to take the GPU apart, hoping it would only be dry thermal paste to be replaced - but instead I noticed the heatsink.

I haven't been able to google any good close-up pictures of how it should actually look, but this gap can't be normal, can it?

file1.jpeg

Does anyone have any bright ideas what it might be if it's not the heatsink?

And I haven't been able to find any spare part heatsinks either - no luck with the numbers written on it.

Humble regards,,

Kjell

0 Likes
2 Replies

Those cards were likely modified for mining, and no there shouldn't be an air gap between the fins and plate.

They're not hardware modified though, and they all have the same settings. But while the other 3 GPUs may run at 55C, this one card reaches above 70C until it crashes, even with higher set fan speed.

Any idea of what I might be able to do? I've been thinking about sticking some gap-pad in between, but of course I'm mostly hoping there's someway of getting a proper heatsink instead. And if it's clearly a faulty heatsink then my chances might be slim, but MSI could be persuadable. I don't really know, I've never been in touch with them before.

0 Likes