0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2018 12:59 PM by risa2000

Ryzen 3 2200g and display "wake-up" video corruption (Win 10)

risa2000

I am facing some video signal problem when waking up the monitor and I need some help

The build is:

ASUS Prime x470-Pro (latest BIOS 4011)

Ryzen 3 2200g

G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX) (2x8GB) (run at XMP profile using DOCP)

Samsung EVO 960

Windows 10 Pro (fresh install with all the updates, latest chipset drivers 18.10.0418 and radeon 18.5.1 unified driver)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (no official support for RavenRidge yet, but the desktop runs anyway with some kernel warnings)

Eizo FlexScan S2231W (1680x1050@60Hz)

I have to use "converter" cable to connect the PC to the monitor as the monitor only has DVI + VGA ports and the motherboard has DP and HDMI ports. In specific situation I observe strange noise video when I "wake-up" the Win from idle state (Win 10 are set to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes, but never to go to sleep, so the machine idles only).

The steps to reproduce it are following:

1) Wait until the OS puts the display in stand-by

2) Power off the display using Power button

3) "Wake up" the OS by moving the mouse, or hitting the keyboard, while having the monitor powered down

4) Power on the monitor

Using those steps I can reproduce it anytime. The result looks like this: Ryzen 3 2200g display wake up problem - Google Photos

Most of the time it is just the noise, few times I got the error displayed by the monitor, suggesting the video frequency was out of spec. The frequencies for pclk and hsync seems a bit odd though as I could not fit them on any reasonable resolution at 60Hz.

On the other hand, if I do not power off the monitor and leave it in stand-by (skipping point 2) above) it seems to work fine too. Also if I switch steps 3) and 4) i.e. powering up the monitor before "waking-up" the OS.

The other observation I did:

1) It happens on both interfaces HDMI and DP using corresponding converter cables

For DP->DVI I used:

https://www.alza.cz/premiumcord-displayport-dvi-d-interface-shielded-2m-d2294781.htm

CSL - 2m HQ Premium DisplayPort auf DVI Kabel |: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

For HDMI->DVI I used:

KabelDirekt 1m HDMI > DVI 24+1 Adapterkabel - TOP: Amazon.de: Elektronik

2) It happens regardless the memory overclocking (I tried XMP profile @ 3200MHz and default config @ 2400 MHz)

3) It does not happen in Ubuntu (using any cable and any memory config)

When the problem happens and I disconnect the cable and reconnect it again it fixes the problem and image is clear again. Power cycling the monitor helps too.

When the problem happens and I remote desktop to the machine the remote screen is also fine.

Considering all circumstances I assume there is a problem with setting up the correct video output signal, when monitor is off and it is not corrected by turning the monitor on. Considering the different results from different OSes (drivers/firmwares) I am more inclined to believe it is the problem with drivers rather than with the hardware, but I am really clueless how to continue the debugging, or how to report it.

Message was edited by: Richard Musil EDIT June 8, 2018: I am reediting this topic as some assumptions I made in the original message (based on anecdotal experience) turned out to be false. Now I found a way to reproduce this problem easily and can give more precise information.