AnsweredAssumed Answered

R9 380X Fan Issues

Question asked by grond_strong on Jun 3, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2018 by elstaci

Hello, name's Carl. First time here on the forum and first time (maybe last) AMD GPU user.

I recently picked up an R9 380X secondhand. It was in great condition and everything seemed to check out physically. I installed it, Firestrike'd it, received a modest score of 7600 but then ran into a startling issue. The fans won't spin past 20% at around 1200RPM. Don't get me wrong, I like a silent system, but I don't like a system in which the GPU gets to 92 degrees Celsius. I reapplied thermal paste, made sure the fan connector was seated firmly, and uninstalled and reinstalled (cleanly using AMD's clean uninstall utility) several times to the latest Radeon drivers and Wattman/GPU still will not acknowledge the manually set fan speed nor will it operate past 20% on auto either. I then installed Afterburner in which I used to manually slide the fan slider to 100% just to test it. The fan percentage will tell me the fan is at 100% but the fan tachometer tells me the fans are still only spinning at 1200RPM - 20%. Even when set to auto in afterburner, the fan percentage indicator will track as if the fans are following a curve, but the actual speed will remain at 1200RPM. Please help. I'm not sure what to do past buying one of those cheap expansion card slot fan brackets off Amazon and they look terrible and I'm not sure work well. I'd love to get this card working right if I can.

Some prelimenary info:

I am running Windows 10 home, i3-6100, Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI, 8GB ram.

The GPU in question is a Visiontek R9 380X and does not receive the fan curve/temp control part of wattman that other GPU's do, just the minimum RPM slider.

Any ideas from all you AMD GPU experts?

Outcomes