Processors

tr00p86
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 2700x no display on boot

Hi everyone,

I need some help... here's my new build specs:

Ryzen 7 2700x with Wrath Prism Cooler

ASUS Prime x470-Pro

Corsair Vengeance LPX  CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 2x8gb 3200mhz DDR4 ram (NOT ON ASUS QVL)

G-Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZR 2x8gb 3200mhz DDR4 ram (ON ASUS QVL)

EVGA Supernova G2 650w

Nvidia GTX 780 3gb

At first, I ordered the Corsair RAM without looking at the QVL (my bad!) ... I contacted Asus Tech Support who told me to stick with QVL'd RAM. I then got the G-Skill kit that is on the list.

I don't have any picture on boot in both cases. Here is what I tried:

• Tried both DVI ports on my GPU. Tried to connect from 4 different monitors with 2 different HDMI cables, including a cable that does 4K on my PS4 pro. 3 PC monitors + My 58" Samsung 4K TV ... The port takes HDMI 1.4b (tried HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 ports)
  • Tried to remove the CMOS + reset the jumper by putting a screwdriver between the pins located under the SATA ports
  • Tried with my GPU, with HDMI and both DVI ports
  • With both RAM sets, I tried including RAM one by one on the motherboard, from the B2 and A2 ports only

I can't make it work.

Everything is properly plugged in:

-Both PSU cables for the motherboard (8-pin + 24-pin, or is it 20?)

-All fans connected (front, CPU, back)

-2 SSD + 1 hybrid connected to PSU + SATA ports

-All front panel cables properly connected

Everything looks beautiful, the LEDs on the motherboard + CPU fan and RAM light up with multi-colors... all the fans turn fine including PSU...

The keyboard lights up too... but nothing on screen!

Where's what I am wondering about...

• It is possible my motherboard is DOA? - It does have all the pretty lights working though and everything plugged on it is powered
  • Is there a compatibility issue somehow between my CPU and motherboard? - I thought X470 is supposed to support Ryzen 2nd gen out-of-the-box
  • Does first BIOS setup only work from the DisplayPort? I haven't tested it because I don't have a cable. - I really doubt this though...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

0 Likes
3 Replies
tr00p86
Journeyman III

Also, that GPU was sitting on an Intel board before... could that have any impact on my issue?

0 Likes
dicen
Journeyman III

It's the Nvidia GTX 780 GPU. It is POSTing fine. Just no display. I upgraded my 1700x to a 2700x and it booted right into Windows 10. But, again no display. I could only use it remotely over the network. Windows 10 did not see the graphics card at all. I am at BIOS 4011 on my ASUS x370-pro. I also used an old PC to upgrade my eVGA SC 780 GTX 3GB to its latest BIOS. Didn't fix it. My old Nvidia GTX 260 works fine. The 780 also works fine with either the 1700x (in the exact same motherboard) or my old Intel 860.

Anyhow, the 2700x is going back. The amount of time that I have wasted on this is just not worth it. I really like the idea of a come back AMD but this after all of the BIOS/memory issues is really enough. We are not AMDs QA department. This upgrade was really cheap ($300) but it just doesn't work.

0 Likes

Hey, it is indeed the GPU that was the issue. Well, not the GPU per se because it's working.

I returned everything AND abd went with Intel. I wanted to give them a chance (last 3 builds were Intel) but they lost me for good, i'm not their QA.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Likes