14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2018 3:28 PM by spinalfailed

Purple Death

spinalfailed

Updated picturePurpleDeath.jpgDescription

The rig I won from Origin... after fixing it!  Had to replace the AIO it came with as it has a rattle when it ramped up.  Also had to reinstall Win10 as it was corrupted out of the box so I decided to finally put the m.2 drive I won to use!  Thats where the death part of the name comes from the fact that  it was more or less DOA when I received it!  Currently occupying space on my dining room table as I have no where else to put it! Ill try to get a better picture without so much reflection!

20180524_163759.jpg

20180729_143704.jpg

20181005_105702.jpg

Specifications

CPURyzen 5 1500x
      CoolerEnermax LiqFusion 240
      MotherboardMSI B350m Gaming pro
      MemoryBallistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16gb 3000MHZ
      GraphicsSapphire Nitro+ 580 8gb
      Disc Drive 1ADATA SX8000 128gb m.2
      Disc Drive 2Seagate 1tb SSHD
      Disc Drive 3WD 3tb Red
      PSUEVGA  SuperNova 550 Watt G3
      CaseFractal Design Define Mini C w/ Window
      MonitorACER KG240 144hz Freesync
        • Re: Purple Death
          saywhut

Dude, congrats!  That's such a nice system and I dig the name per the experience you had with it.

spinalfailed

Thanks!  I was, well still am, extremely irritated with the way I received it and how things were handled! Then i figured it was easier to just spend a little money, make it better and know it's fixed properly!

kyotwo

windows 10 problems are more than ever :/ glad you got it done

darkwolfca

nice setup spinal and sucks about the issues you had on it.

spinalfailed

Thanks darkwolfca. I finally got sick of spending money to fix it so I shipped it back. They replaced the motherboard but failed to address the things I initially contacted them about when I first received it. I won't call them out publicly but I will say their claims of best customer support in the business are without a doubt false at least the service I received would never qualify as even acceptable!

red5

Good Grief. One of those cases where you can't complain about 'free', but then again.....  I think you posted on Twitter about the ordeal a while back and I followed that thread.  Those fans are sexy by the way.

colesdav

Hi,

The build looks nice.  Pity you had so many problems with it.
                      Funny T shirt ... .

Bye.

spinalfailed

My issues weren't so much with the problems with the rig as much as problems with customer service. At this point I've accepted that it's on me to make it right so that's what I'm going to do. I stole parts from this to put together a pay it forward rig for a friend's son that I delivered a couple days ago.  I have a new PSU, RAM, GPU, and AIO(well the one seen in the picture). I'm also ordering the Paracord and connectors I need to build custom cables.

kc5vdj

Man, for as much as Origin charges, you'd think they'd have better customer service.

Be sure to update when it's in final config.  Overall, it does look nice visually.

I've been wondering about the low and mid-tier chipset boards (amd and intel both), because they kinda look really stripped.  Maybe upgrade later to an X-chipset board?  That slot issue with MSI sounds almost AssRock-ish (AssRock uses the cheesiest connectors that can be sourced).

Hope you get it all worked out soon.

spinalfailed

I've never had an issue with ASRock once they were staffed with former Asus employees. Add for the issue, that's what happens when you ship a full pc with an inserted and improperly secured gpu. As for the 370 boards, no point. Most people truly don't need the features they offer, especially for matx and ITX. You can overclock the same on a 350 as the 370. The VRMs are more of an issue and both chipsets have boards that aren't all that great.

kc5vdj

yeah, i've been watching the buildzoid videos on the vrms on the current boards, and yeah, they could be a lot better.

they didn't even put those foam form fitting packs in to secure that card in transit?  yeah, that could do a number on the slot.  i've seen a lot of the rig builders on youtube using these foam packs that you add something to, and they stiffen form fitting around whatever they are against.  gotta be pretty cheap to do, and they seem to work.

spinalfailed

It did have what is basically spray foam insulation in a bag holding the GPU but honestly it did more damage to the acrylic panel than the job it was intended for. They at least replaced the motherboard though they ignored my other issues so at least it's now usable...ahem.... Was usable! Haha The RAM and PSU went into this pay it forward rig that I spent  way more than intended20180722_183531.jpg

darkwolfca

forgot to say those purple fans look great also