2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 7:20 PM by adam_nt

Firmware Bug

adam_nt

I just received a replacement CPU for my Ryzen 5 1600 which I sent back with an RMA code because it had idle crashes and instant reboots in Linux.

Viewing the logs in my new CPU I get the following bug:

[0.750348] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.750436] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.750501] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.750592] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.750660] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.750772] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.750902] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.750996] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.751116] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.751222] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.751349] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)
      [0.751454] [Firmware Bug]: ACPI MWAIT C-state 0x0 not supported by HW (0x0)

I have some of the logs from when I got the hardware errors with my old CPU and in none of them I had those bugs. The CPU I sent back was made in the 38th week of 2017 but the replacement I received is from the 33th. So my questions are:

1. What are those bugs?

2. Why wasn't I getting them with my first CPU?

3. Can it be a problem because my replacement CPU was produced earlier than the one I sent back?

I want to point out that I first updated the BIOS to the newest version and also the kernel  I use now is newer so to be better compatible with Ryzen.

• Re: Firmware Bug
          billy72

same ACPI bugs here on Ryzen 5 1600 bought in the first week of May17 Asus Prime X370-Pro BIOS 4011 and Fedora 28 Workstation Kernel 4.16.8-300.fc28.x86_64:

acpi.png

I do not have enough knowledge to answer your questions technically, if they are not a problem for your purposes you can lose importance.

Linux users are still waiting improvements on AMD AGESA and BIOS updates from motherboards manufacturers before confirming that choosing the first gen of Ryzen has been a bad decision for us, or at least for me ... we will see what happens

Regards

• Re: Firmware Bug
              adam_nt

Thanks for your response. After I saw the bugs I googled it and  I saw dozens of people mentioning the same thing. What I don't like is that I sent back a CPU that didn't have that bug but was idle freezing all the time and crashing out of the blue and I received a new one with different issues.

I do hope that this is a software issue though that will be fixed with a BIOS or Kernel update and it isn't something serious. I also hope that someone can provide more details for us regarding this issue and explain what this bug is and what are its consequences,

I can't stop but wonder whether the fact that I received a CPU produced earlier (33th week) than the one I sent back (38th week) had something to do with that. I don't know whether the one I sent was somehow updated and didn't have that bug. Also I don't know whether the updated BIOS could produce that bug meaning that it doesn't have to do with the production date. If that is the case then that bug would appear in my returned CPU too. I can't seem to find answers about that.

Let's hope there is an update because running Linux on Ryzen has proven to be very challenging.