cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

techmind
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Memory Speed Issues

I just purchased new memory for my PC, but I'm having trouble getting it to run even close to it's potential. I realize that Ryzen is picky with memory, but 2400 to 3200 is such a HUGE gap. My PC won't boot with anything over 2400. I have successfully gotten it to 3000 under a certain setting, but then it won't let me overclock the CPU. I'm not knowledgeable enough to with mess with voltages if that is the problem. Any advice or settings that could help would be appreciated. PC spec's below. Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (OC @ 3.7Ghz)

Gigabyte AX-370-Gaming K5

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

G.SKILL Flare X 16GB DDR4 3200 X370

0 Likes
2 Replies

Ensure you are setting the timings correctly if for some reason the preset for DDR4-3200 doesn't work in BIOS.G.Skill Flare RAM is compatible with Ryzen at 3200mhz.

0 Likes
seahawkshunt
Adept II

Have you tried Ryzen Timing Checker and Ryzen RAM calculator to get all your sub timings? Overclocking RAM is not simple or easy on Ryzen if you want 3000+mhz. Some configurations can run it with little issue but most require fine tuning on the sub timings and voltages.  There is a lot of great information to be found  here [Official] AMD Ryzen DDR4 24/7 Memory Stability Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community  50+ pages of people experiences overclocking RAM on AM4. There you can find The Stilts safe timings and his fast timings for 3000/3200/3466 etc. for different RAM types.

Ryzen Timing Checker is a program created by The Stilt  to show actual  sub timings in OS. Download Ryzen Timing Checker | TechPowerUp

Ryzen RAM calculator is a program created by 1usmus that will calculate your sub-timings after you enter RAM type/rank and the speed you want to reach. You can download it on Overclockers.net, just search for Ryzen RAM calculator on the main page. Make sure to read all the instructions or watch the video before you use this.

P.S. The Stilts timings are so good and used so much Asus has incorporated his RAM timings into their BIOS/UEFI as presets. Also the performance jump from 2400 to 3000 is "HUGE" and worth the time it takes to dial it in.

0 Likes