cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cygnus_x1
Adept II

Windows 10 Unusable ( black or flashing screen ) After 1803 Update. The Epic Saga....

So...I installed the Windows 1803 update, jokingly commenting to my wife that something was bound to go wrong.  And it didn't disappoint me. The update downloaded and installed fine..but on login it just got stuck with the swirly thing on the login screen...endlessly.

If I hit ctrl_alt_delete when it was stuck like that , and called up task manager, it brought up an only partially filled desktop and taskbar, with everything flashing between that and a totally black screen every second or so. This was effectively un-usable.

I decided that maybe the graphics driver was the problem. BUT, the AMD software updater wont let you update to 18.4.1 before the Windows update...it says 18.2.1 is the latest version.  So I got hold of the 18.4.1 Adrenalin driver and installed it from the .exe file. so it was there before the windows update.

But still I had the flashing screen problem after doing the Windows update. Things then went from the sublime to the ridiculous when I went into safe mode and tried to install the 18.4.1 driver again....I was told the update could not be done because the driver ( which I got from AMD dowloads ) was not signed ! 

Maybe it was the wrong driver....so I downloaded the thingy from AMD that automatically checks for the right driver. But it won't run in safe mode !...nothing happens. And safe mode is the only place where I CAN run anything after the Windows update.

So I have now twice done ' go back to previous version of Windows'....and the damned update wants to install again...

0 Likes
3 Replies

Like Microsoft ever respond to bug reports ? Or anyone ever gives an 'answer' that isn't to some totally unrelated issue ?

No....I've deleted the download files and set my PC to 'metered' connection. The update now crashes when it tries to install. Good. It is absolutely outrageous that any update should leave one's PC effectively un-usable.

0 Likes

I should add that the craziest thing of all is that the computer after the update will only run at all in safe mode...and you can't do windows updates in safe mode, so you can't download any further patches that might fix the issue. You can't even get AMD software to update the driver in safe mode...it simply wont run.

0 Likes