cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Hardwood
Paragon

When extended screen is off mouse/graphics stutter.

This is somewhat similar to this post Netflix playback lag and mouse stutters.

I've tried the suggestion to enable GPU scaling which had no effect.

These tests were done on desktop with this site open on firefox and also just desktop nothing opened.

I have 3 displays

1 DP 1920x1080 main monitor

1 DVI 1920x1080

1 HDMI 1920x1080 this is connected to a Sony receiver which switches from Cable TV to computer output(extended display).

all with native cabling.

RX 580 on win10pro x64 1709 fully updated and Adrenaline v18.4.1.

Other info when hovering my avatar.

So what I've found (and IIRC has been happening for the last few drivers and this is debatable until I go back to 17.12.1) is

1) single screen (DP) no problems

2) ADD Two Extended screens ON, no problem

3) If the HDMI and/or DVI screen is powered off then I get this stutter every 4 seconds which lasts for just a bit less than a second. It's affecting my typing right now and mouse movements and if I run a screenblanker it shows it there too. It's at it's worst with both screens off and extended enabled. I use window's "project" to enable extended mode and on a typical day only use one of the extended screens the other remains off.

It doesn't matter if the Sony receiver is on or off, It will pass the extended display info either way.

To summarize. Extended screen(s) when powered on there's no problem, If either or both screen are  powered off then I get this stutter.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes
13 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

So I DDU'd 18.4.1 and installed 17.12.1 and extended screens are working fine without the stutters.

I guess that rules out my receiver being an issue and can only be software driver. Will report.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes
Hardwood
Paragon

Stutter still prevalent with 18.6.1 

Back to 17.12.1

0 Likes

Hello,

have the same problem with stuttering, when i switch off a screen. But it's only two screens, a monitor per DVI and a TV per HDMI. Have also a receiver (Pioneer VSX-528). Version 18.7.1 is installed.

0 Likes

I have the same issue without any receiver in the middle.

I do however use an HDMI-to-DVI adapter, because my secondary screen doesn't support HDMI.

It does not matter which monitor I shut off, both will result in the same stuttering.

It does not matter which HDMI port I'm using, after switching them, the issue still exists.

Edit: I tried turning off FreeSync in the Radeon-Settings and nothing changed.

My hardware:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

GPU driver: 18.7.1

Primary monitor: Samsung S24F356F

Connected via HDMI

Running at 1080p 72 Hz Freesync

Secondary monitor: Acer S240HL

Supports only VGA and DVI. Connected to the GPU via an HDMI-to-DVI adapter.

Running at 1080p 60 Hz.

0 Likes
tomvm
Journeyman III

Hello !

I have exactly the same problem here.
LG Computer Screen on DVI

TV Samsung on HDMI

When the TV is OFF, I have the stuttering every 4 seconds... When I turn ON the TV, everething's fine ! I hope the problem will be solved soon !

I will try to go back to the 17.12.1 !
Thnaks !

0 Likes

The stuttering happens almost exactly every 2 seconds for me. I checked this with a stopwatch.

0 Likes
yutamago
Journeyman III

This bug is now a known issue as of 18.8.1.

So it may be fixed soon.

See the Known Issues section

Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 Release Notes | AMD

0 Likes

This is still a problem 6 months later, might be a known problem, but not one AMD seem to care about.

18.5.1 from May are the latest version I've found with out the problem.

0 Likes

With the newest version the issue disappeared for me. One of the developers kept contact with me to ensure if my problem was gone. I can tell that's it's difficult to fix, because it only appears in specific configurations. Seeing that they didn't remove it from the known issues, means that they're still trying to find a fix for all.

I think they're doing a good job. Try the latest version and if it didn't fix your issue, let them know.

0 Likes

I'm not as impressed with their work as you. So far I have tried:

18.11.1-nov8
18.11.2-nov19
18.12.1.1-dec5
18.12.2-dec12
19.1.1-jan20
19.1.2-jan24

All of these versions have the same fault, as soon as I power off my primary monitor, my secondary monitor stutters every few seconds.

Up until 19.1.1 at least I only had to reinstall the 18.5.1 driver, then modify the registry to change the location of the Radeon Relive folder which was written to the Videos folder at each boot, even though I don't use, and have never installed Radeon Relive.

But now with 19.1.1 and 19.1.2, it also uninstalls the chipset driver, so it looks like I'll have to reset the power profiles each time I test a new driver now too.

Nvidia is looking better all the time.

0 Likes
nofunever
Adept I

Issue still exists for me. If any screen attached to my computer is turned off or set to a different input i get half second freezes ever 4 to 10 seconds. For example turning my tv off or changing its input to the roku or chromecast on a different input will cause the system to hiccup. So will turning off any of my monitors or changing their input to something other than the computer will cause all remaining screens to hiccup. The only work around is unplugging any monitor not actively being used. 

quack66
Journeyman III

Just wanted to say I still have this issue. Tried disabling Windows theme and HDMI HDCP to no avail.

My setup:

144hz 1080p Freesync MSI Mag

Samsung 60hz HD TV 

MSI monitor is plugged by DP and the TV by HDMI. When using Win+P key to disable the MSI so the only active monitor is the TV, any games will freeze 1 sec every 10 seconds which makes it unplayable. The only way to use the TV is to manually unplug the DP cable for the MSI monitor from the GPU. 

I'm using driver 20.2.2 with an rx580. Let me know if you need more info.

Also reported the issue using https://amd.com/report

EDIT: Seems that using 2 HDMI cables instead of 1 HDMI+1 DP fixes the issue. Maybe 2 DP cables could also work

0 Likes
nofunever
Adept I

this problem still exists. my monitor can't do freesync over hdmi either.

0 Likes