2 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2018 3:42 AM by amdcustomer

Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris) motherboard support?

amdcustomer

Hello, not sure the best place to put this so i'm dropping it in general. I have a new Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris) workstation GPU however despite all my efforts the older motherboard i'm utilizing does not seem compatible with this card. Despite everything seeming to be in working order. Its a 'no signal to monitor' issue as found in another thread. Radeon Pro Duo No Signal to Monitor

"The card seems to be getting power, the fan is spinning, all lights on the computer seem normal.

Powered down, unplugged, removed the card and reset it in place firmly but cautiously just in case I had not seated it correctly, still no luck.

Tried powering down the computer, unplugging everything, holding the power button for a minute then replugging and restarting... still no signal.

Removed the new graphics card and switched back to the Radeon graphics card, and everything works just fine... signal goes to the monitor and the computer is working as usual."

Unlike the user above who had the issue fixed by updating his motherboards bios; this did not fix my issue. Which in some ways is no shock as I have an obscure configuration... however its still frustrating as every other single GPU and component has worked with my system without issue.

The fact that its a AMD board with an AMD processor i'm a little upset this AMD card (although I had a R9-270 installed previously just fine) is having compatibility issues.... especially considering these professional cards are marketed to have better support, reliability, ease of use, and compatibility compared to their gaming cousins. To me, all these issues myself and others are having seems to be lazy driver and software support.... but... and now i'm the victim of a $900 paperweight which I paid the premium in price for to avoid these complications.

The return time from the shipper has expired because I sent it to a local shop to have a certified tech friend take a double look to make sure.... so I guess my question is; what system and motherboards are this card guaranteed compatible with (out of the box without a ton of updating and tweaks, which again I was trying to avoid) because i'm to the point of just building a whole new system... I really wanted a workstation for content creation purposes that would last several years but had no idea it would turn into such a nightmare...  any recommendations on motherboards/configurations or even pre-built systems that this card will work in (I'd rather just order a pre-made system from dell, HP, etc by this point and drop the GPU in saying it would accept the card) i'd be appreciative to know because i'd hate to spend even more money on additional hardware and find out it doesn't work with the Radeon Pro Duo either.... For example; will this or something like this work with the Radeon Pro Duo? - Precision 5820 Desktop Tower Workstation | Dell United States

Old Motherboard information.

Parts were pulled from Computer -> Gateway SX2110G-UW24 (HDMI)

Motherboard ACER -> db.ge511.001 (or dbge511001) ?

CPU/APU -> AMD E1-1500

Odd configuration I know but thus far its worked fine with everything else except for the Redeon Pro Duo (Polaris)

• Re: Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris) motherboard support?
          dancer42

when i ran a search on this motherboard it says that it does not support pci express much less pci express 3.0 witch is what your video card requires so get a motherboard or bare bones case that supports pcie 3.0 x16 and you should be in business your current motherboard is not compatible good luck. 

• Re: Radeon Pro Duo (Polaris) motherboard support?
              amdcustomer

The board has a x16 slot though i'm thinking its a 2.0 or less; regardless i've had a 7750, 1080ti, R9-270 in it just fine, the later two cards being pci express 3.0. Given the plans for this machine I don't mind the bottleneck of a slower slot. With that said after writing AMD Tech support; they recommended that x470 boards should work. So thats good news.

"I suggest you to consider the latest motherboards based on X470 chipset which is compatible with all the latest gen Ryzen processors, also the Radeon pro duo (Polaris) can work great together with out any bootkneck issue.  There are different motherboard manufacturers such Gigabyte, MSI, Asus and etc who has already listed the motherboard with X470 chipsets, you can choose one based on your budget.

Thanks for contacting AMD."