cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

steel
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 1600 Random Crash, Power Cycle Required

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any help.  The title pretty much sums it up, the computer will randomly power down and requires a power-cycle (flipping the PSU switch off/on) in order to boot up again.  At first I thought it was the PSU, swapped it out with a spare and yet again...random crash.  I ran PC-Check on the ASUS B350-F I recently purchased which came back with a faulty DMA controller as well as MP Symmetry problems on the last core (12th thread, not sure if this is physical or logical).  So once again I swapped the hardware to a backup MINI-ITX from Biostar I've got around here and, you guessed it, more random crashes.  I've tried under-clocking/under-volting on both boards, I've tried various drivers on both boards, I've tried a fresh OS Install on both boards, I've tried updating to the latest BIOS on both boards and I've tried praying to whatever higher power there that these fixed the issue, they haven't.  The only thing that seems to minimize the crash issue is manually disabling cores via the BIOS.  I recently tried 4+0 which lasted around a day and a half, now I'm down to 2+2 and I'm not sure how long this is going to last.  I've submit a ticket, sadly I've heard nothing back.  Any help would be much appreciated as I'm fresh out of options.  Specs are as follows:

XFX TrueClock BlackCore Edition RX580

Desktop PC

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

AMD Drivers:

-Radeon Settings Version 2017.0424.2119.36535

-Driver Packaging Version 17.10.1731-170424a2-313676E-WU-Template-1710

-Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (duh)

-2D Driver Version 8.1.1.1599

-Direct3D Version 9.14.10.01261

-OpenGL Version 6.14.10.13474

-OpenCL Version 22.19.162.4

-AMD Mantle Version 9.1.10.0189

-AMD Mantle API Version 102400

-AMD Audio Driver Version 10.0.1.5

-Vulkan Driver Version 1.5.0

-Vulkan API Version 1.0.39

HP 27ea IPS 1080p 60Hz

Asus B350-F with Bios 4004 / Biostar X370 GTN with latest bios (revision number escapes me, sorry)

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ stock

Corsair CX750M V2 750watt / Thermaltake 600watt

ADATA XPG Gammix D10 16gb (8gb x 2) DDR4 3000 (PC 24000)

Nothing has been overlocked and regardless of multiple attempts to put the system under heavy load, the crashes seem to be totally random.

0 Likes
3 Replies
seahawkshunt
Adept II

I have had similar issues when I overclock my RAM past spec or when I tried non QVL memory. (I own 2 AM4 motherboards Strix B350-F & X370-A)

Is the RAM AX4U300038G16-DRG (ADATA XPG Gammix D10)? That RAM kit you listed is not on the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for either  motherboard.

Are you running the RAM at 3000mhz? Try 2133mhz or 2667mhz with auto timings. 2667mhz is the official max system memory speed.

Are you using DOCP profiles for the Asus B350? DOCP = overclocked. You might want to try to purchase or borrow a RAM kit that is on the QLV list to eliminate the RAM as the possible issue.

0 Likes

Hey man, thanks for the reply.  That is indeed the memory kit I'm using, I've run multiple memtest passes returning no errors.  I've tried all rated speeds and voltages including DOCP profiles and manually setting timings.  As of now the ram is underclocked @ 1333mhz with stock voltage.

I honestly don't think it's a memory issue, the system was running fine for months (again non-overclocked, all stock speed/voltage settings) on this Mini-ITX board I'm using (ended up returning that ASUS board as the failed DMA controller and USB 3.1 header falling off the board were totally unacceptable).

However when I swapped back to this Mini-ITX board, same issues started popping up.  PC-Check has returned CPU errors on both boards and the only thing that stabilizes the system at all is manually lopping off cores.

I haven't had a CPU issue in years, it's quite rare.  However, I'm really starting to lean that way...hoping AMD gets back to my ticket so I can process this RMA.  Again thanks for the help bud, if you or anyone else can think of anything else, anything I've missed, I'd be more than happy to try/listen.

btw, hawks 4-life.  LEGION OF BOOOOOOM.  I need the power of the 12th man to solve this.

0 Likes
steel
Journeyman III

It's been over a week on this forum and a single person has responded.  Thank you bud for the suggestions.

I'm going to RMA this CPU and sell the system, I'm done with AMD.  0 support here, over the phone and via email.

Picked up an 8600k and new board, my customers and I will no longer use AMD, sorry guys the support is just too awful.

Again, thanks to the single person who replied, much appreciated. 

0 Likes