AnsweredAssumed Answered

Current state of linux amdgpu drivers for Vega M on Kaby Lake G?

Question asked by beer on Apr 13, 2018
Latest reply on May 31, 2018 by kingfish

Hi.  I ordered one of the new HP spectre x360 laptops with the new i7-8705G/Vega M GL chips

I intend to run linux on this device whenever I'm able to.  I have heard that amdgpu drivers do not yet work, but there is not much information out there yet.  This is really the only report I can find at all:

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/8b4e3m/kaby_lakeg_support/dx6wl9k/?context=3

Quoted for convenience:

wasn't able to get it to use the amdgpu driver for the AMD card. lspci sees it as "[AMD/ATI] Polaris 22 [Radeon RX Vega M GL]", but no driver is assigned to it. Adding it to MODULES in mkinitcpio also makes no difference -- no driver assigned, X still happily running on the Intel card. 

I'll try to set up Mesa Git and maybe AMDGPU PRO, but I'm not terribly optimistic, as there's no info at all about this GPU on the internet. AMD driver download page doesn't even list it.

I have not tried myself yet as the laptop has not been shipped yet.  I am curious, what is the official state of these drivers?  Is the user correct there are no functional drivers yet?  Any ETA?

Thanks

Outcomes