16 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2018 4:01 PM by darkwolfca

Weiss

magical_flame

Description

I originally built this on a super tight budget of $700 back in 2016. So it had a FX-4350 w/ stock cooler, no SSD & it was in a Raidmax Ninja 2 case when I first started to build her. This is my very first PC build I ever did, so I'm hopping that it will keep getting better as time goes on and prices get crazier.

30167847_2105612896343212_3906878489574295010_o.jpg

Specifications

CPUFX-8370
      CoolerDeepcool 240EX (White)
      MotherboardAsus M5A97 R2.0
      MemoryHyperX DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)
      GraphicsEVGA GTX 750TI 2GB SC
      Disc Drive 1Sk Hynix 120GB SSD
      Disc Drive 2Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSUEVGA 500W 80+ (white) non-modular
      CaseNZXT S340 (white)
      MonitorSamsung U28E590D 4K 28" UHD
        • Re: Weiss
          scythefwd

I'm running the same case in black and a 240mm rad up front.  I found putting a mesh panel in the front of the case allowed my system to run a full 10C cooler at idle.. and nearly 15C cooler at load.

Nice build.. much cleaner than mine.

magical_flame

Thanks for the compliment. The S340 is a really nice case for its price for any build. Unless the builder wants/needs a rad bigger then a 240mm or needs more then 4 drives. Or the builder is using a EATX motherboard.

And the front filter is in the front of the case by default. Or are you saying you removed it for better air flow to get those temps?

scythefwd

I mean I cut out a 5x10 square hole in the front of the case and put aluminum mesh there in its place so my radiator could pull air more efficiently..

I did also remove the dust filter and mounted my fans under the front vs. inside the case... The fans are literally directly behind that screen.. I wont see much dust inside.. I generally run filterless and dont have any issues..

nzxt_grill.jpg7646245052604418642%253Faccount_id%253D0

I found after cutting the grill up front and moving the fans directly behind the grill (same config as yours, just fan location shifted.. ) I'm seeing 10-15 degrees C lower temps during stress tests.  Pardon the orientation of the second pic.. was a quick snap I took when trying to explain that I had moved my fans to someone else.

magical_flame

Oh okay, I would mod my case but it still has its warranty. But before I do any type of modding, I have to replace my GPU, PSU & peripherals.

I'll have to remember this later for sure.

scythefwd

That case is less than 2 months old lol.  If your temps are good, I'd not

bother, which is why I asked how they we're.  The threadripper at 3.9ghz

produces a lot of heat, which is why I got to cutting..

magical_flame

lol, my temps stay in the high 40s to low 50s under heavy load with a very mild OC.

And i didnt even notice that you had a Threadripper build there lol. the only thing i said to myself

was thats one of the new AIOs haha.

scythefwd

Well shoot.. she dont need no extra holes then.  Under stress test I was throttling at stock speeds.. now I hit about 63 (throttling starts at 68) with my OC.. I am prime95 stable at 4 (blend, not sff)... But if you're already low 50's, no need at all to mod.  In that case.. I cant think of much in the ways to improve the case lol..

Again, Nice build ya got there man.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            magical_flame

wow thats up there in heat but at least you have a really nice AIO to keep it in check. And ya the case could be better in many ways. After the warranty is up i mite change the black to a very light blue to resemble ice or something close to it. As well as do a custom loop at some point.

And thanks again.

scythefwd

It is, but it's 16 cores running full load with a 500mhz oc on every core and a .135 over volt to go with.. she's low 50's stock speeds on the small fft, and high 40's is the highest I've seen actually using it with my oc.  I really could go 4.0 or 4.1 as daily driver clocks..

magical_flame

That's some pretty good temps for that OC. And I could see 4.0 being the sweet spot.

scythefwd

I think I could pull it off.. I just don't want to run that much voltage through the proc..

magical_flame

true, if you cant get it there i would get it as close as possible

scythefwd

I've had it up to 4.2 at 1.35v, 4.1 at 1.3v... my usage is light enough that I won't be stressing all cores on this box at any time, so realistically I would see normal operating temps in the low 40's even in those freq ranges.  At 3.9, I blipped 30 degrees when installing a vm ... The highest temps I've seen outside of stress tests.

The issue is that even with good temps, the increased voltage does degrade components over time.. so while and says 1.4v is max.. I'd like to keep it at 1.25 or lower.  If I were trying to render graphics.. you bet your sweet biffy I'd be running 4.1, and a custom loop, possibly with a water chiller in the loop.  My use doesn't require the extra cycles per second.. so I opt for longevity over peak performance.

norumu

Oh man, I really like the NZXT S340! I have the black one for my home rig. It makes cable management look so clean!

darkwolfca

great build and yeah acrylic does scratch easy been changing over to tempered glass myself much clearer and that but has it's own issues like fingerprints