cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

torojohnson
Journeyman III

Solving the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL Enigma

I'm one of the many newcomers to this issue that's occurring with Ryzen where Windows will bluescreen and present a message such as this: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Towards the bottom of the screen will be a STOP and address reference and a .sys mentioned by name. The one that appears in all of my bluescreens is pci.sys. I've been troubleshooting this issue for over half a week now and there's too many ideas but never an exact solution. If there is one, there's no one-stop place for it and most of the posts dealing with this issue across various sites are from last summer.

However I've gotten closer to solving this after reading a post from this thread. After adjusting the voltage on the CPU, RAM, and changing the timings, my system has lasted longer before the next bluescreen. Compared to having no improvement, I feel this is a tremendous leap in the right direction. If solving this issue is as simple as adjusting the RAM timings, it might be useful for there to be a dedicated knowledgebase page to help Ryzen owners such as myself to follow and avoid the headache or remorse.

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 (as seen here)

GPU: Gigabyte WINDFORCE GTX 760

Things I've tried in no particular order: Reinstalling the OS, Installing the latest BIOS (not the very latest as AMD says it doesn't support Win7), installing the latest chipset drivers, USB support, installed the latest graphic drivers. Probably a few other solutions I'm forgetting like adjusting the page file amount as was recommended on a different site.

A bit of background; I recently moved on from a Z87 Intel system and naively believed the switch would be simple and comfortable for the long wait before the GPU prices go back to normal again. I had my eye on Ryzen CPUs for a while and bought what I needed to swap out parts and here I am. Everything else in my system has worked fine.

I'm hoping that the core issue is a combination of CPU and RAM but moreso RAM settings that need to be adjusted, and that someone can help me figure out what those adjustments should be. Can someone help me figure out what those are? Minidump and WER from latest bluescreen are attached.

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hello,

I have been working on fixing computer for about a week too and have mental health problems™ combined with AMD™ technology, so I have some of the worst experience in the field of computing and would be glad to try and help you.

Big warning about Bios,

• when you upgrade there is no going back.
  • using the latest bios 1c-1e my MSI™ gaming carbon pro does not function correctly with my AMD™ Ryzen™ R7 1700.
  • my machine will not pass tests it could before, (ibt 8gb size or occt) as it stools out after a little while.

the amount of ram is important to any build, but if you have the latest motherboard.

the other idea could be your hard drive.

to resolve this issue I recommend.

• spend two weeks asking for help on forums
  • figure out the answer myself
  • tell MSI™ support how to resolve the issue.
  • I brought a new hard drive for myself.
  • I found new AMD™ based issue.

I hope you enjoy the AMD™experience and we cant use new and exciting AMD™ products in the future.

0 Likes