AnsweredAssumed Answered

Intensive vram load cause pc reboots on HD 7970 Ghz

Question asked by alawamiaz on Mar 20, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2018 by elstaci

Hi

I noticed my PC or graphics card have problem with -possibliy vram?-  that cause reboots. I noticed 3 ways to reproduce the bug.

EDIT: found a third way with ACO

1: The first way is while playing battlefield 1 if you increase the resolution scale to 200% in game settings on 1080p (to simulate 4k which exhaust the vram) the pc will restart either immediately or in the next 10 seconds.

2: The second way to reproduce this bug is in CSGO. today I wasn't able to play it because when just the map starts to load the pc reboots immediately, interestingly the fix that worked for me was somehow related to vram settings of CSGO (which made me think it's related to BF1 bug). The fix was to edit the video.txt file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\207083352\730\local\cfg. by chaning the ("setting.mem_level" "3" to "setting.mem_level" "0") which i believe changes the behavior of the game in the way it manages vram.

wasn't actually able to fix it, it was just a chance. i can't play csgo for some reason, pc reboots once the map starts loading.

3: Assassin's creed origins, exactly the same way as battlefield 1, Increase resolution scale setting in the game, wait for 1-10 seconds then the pc will definitely reboot.

To make sure it's a vram load/fill-up problem and not a case of GPU overload, I tested with furmark which is way more  intensive on the GPU than these games. no reboots.

system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • HD 7970 Ghz visiotek
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit Version 1709, OS Build 16299.309
  • Driver version installed
    • happens on both 18.2.1 and 18.3.3 (also did clean install to 18.3.3), I don't know what other version it also happens with, but I remember it doesn't happen with 17.7 but that was long ago, i didn't test 17.7 now.
  • Display Devices
    • V2220P monitor, A 1080p screen that I operate on 76Hz with single link DVI.
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Gigabyte H61MA D2V, BIOS F7a
  • CPU/APU
    • i5 2300
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Corsair VS 650w
  • RAM
    • 8GB ddr3 1333mhz

I have the DxDiag text file attached to this post.

Attachments

Outcomes