cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

martinn112
Adept II

AMD Windows update driver and driver from website issue

So as the title says, i am having some trouble with my sister's laptop. She recently closed it during a Windows update by ancident. And it would simply not boot. So i took a backup of all her things on the pc and did a fresh complety new installation of Windows 10 Home i just downloaded. When i get into Windows it runs fine, since i didnt connect it to the network yet and it was missing drivers, but if i put it into our network and it will start looking for updates, it would basicly be bricked. It would freeze complety. And if i shut it off and try to start it again it would freeze during boot at a black screen with spinning dots where the dots would stop moving. I also tried waiting it out redownloading Windows 10 and reinstalling multiple times. I then looked in windows update while it was looking for updates and saw it would freeze during the install of the AMD Display Driver. I then tried going to AMD's site and find the correct driver and install it before i connect it to the internet. But when it reached the Display driver again, it would lock up complety and sometimes it will show a BSOD stuck at 0%. So i think there is a issue with the driver or the GPU in the laptop.

Any ideas ?

Here's the specs:

CPU: Intel I5-4200U 1.6 GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon R7 M265 2GB

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

STORAGE: 1 TB

I think it was from around 2014.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Okay, so i was really bored and curious. So i tried installing the new driver that i download and guess what. It installed perfectly. And now runs with the newest drivers and software. I guess maybe the new driver was missing something that the old driver had ?

View solution in original post

28 Replies

Has the OS fully updated?

Maybe some help here > Laptop graphics update...How to

Try going to the manufacturer's support site and downloading the graphics drivers they furnish >

List of Major Notebook Manufacturers and Corresponding Support Web Sites

Radeon™ Software Help Center | AMD

Forgot to mention that it is an Acer Laptop, under Windows 10 they only provide a Intel driver not an amd but for 8.1 they do provide one for AMD. Should i try that one ?

0 Likes

Give it a shot....

What is the exact model number of the Acer?

0 Likes

Acer Aspire V5-561G

0 Likes

Have you tried the drivers furnished by Microsoft?

0 Likes

You mean by those from windows update ? If yes, Yes i have tried that and that ends the same way, freezing anc bricking the entire windows installations which results in a new Windows install.

0 Likes

The bad part is Acer has supplied no drivers for that model after 'upgrading' it to Win10. I have never seen this before. You might ask Acer...

Also, make sure the Intel driver is updated and installed before the AMD drivers > Laptop graphics update...How to

0 Likes

That was actually one of my ideas before installing the amd Driver. Install all available drivers for Windows 10 from Acer

0 Likes

I have never seen a manufacturer not offer at least one graphics update for Win10...especially with laptops that came with Win8.1. There is something wrong and Acer would be the one to explain why.

Did the 8.1 drivers install on Win10? Have you tried that yet? Remember, update the Intel graphics from the Intel site before trying to install the AMD graphics.

0 Likes

Are you installing the correct drivers?

Download Drivers

0 Likes

And yes, they were the drivers that i chose.

0 Likes

Okay, so far it looks good. I installed a Wifi driver just in case and i installed the Win 10 Intel Driver and the 8.1 AMD driver with restarting between them. But when i look in the settings it was set to scale 150% but ichanged it back to 100 % but i cant seem to change the resolution and the start menu is kind of choppy. By looking at device manager there it does know which model they are but on the AMD GPU it says Windows has stopped them because they reported an error. Code 43 and on the Intel one it says Windows could not load the driver for the device code 31

0 Likes

Try using the "have disk" method to install the Intel drivers.Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 and...

You can do the same with the AMD drivers if you still have a issue.

0 Likes

Right click on your desktop and choose resolution

0 Likes

I did that but the option to chnage from 1920x1080 is greyed out most likely because the driver is not working.

0 Likes

Hm, i tried uninstalling and installing the intel driver manually in Device Manager and restarted. The intel one still fails to load but the error with the AMD GPU Seems to be fixed

0 Likes

Should i maybe to go for it and search for updates with Windows Update? Since the driver causing the freeze is installed... ?

0 Likes

Give it a shot...everything is 'try it' at this point

0 Likes

Oh no.... i see an update for The GPU, lets see how it turns out ......

0 Likes

Too bad Microsoft forced updates onto your pc even if it bricks it but i am waiting for it to reach the AMD driver and see if it bricks it

0 Likes

Oh wow, it seems that it has passed the installation part in Windows update. I think it did since the screen flickered a bit and i heard a disconnect and reconnect sound nad it went off the list and it is not frozen "yet"

0 Likes

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

0 Likes

Okay, seems to be working perfectly now, all drivers installed and reports no error currenrtly and it booted just fine. I might try and use the driver that i downloaded earlier on the one which is newest.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Oh thank god it just thought i got bricked again. I just wanted to do a restart to fix the scaling and it froze during the reboot but thank god after i shut it down it booted just fine again.

0 Likes

Okay, so i was really bored and curious. So i tried installing the new driver that i download and guess what. It installed perfectly. And now runs with the newest drivers and software. I guess maybe the new driver was missing something that the old driver had ?

Probably the Intel driver update. Switchable graphics are finicky. The AMD driver is designed to work with the current Intel driver.

0 Likes

It also installed an Intel Driver but it is still on the list but listed as restart required.

0 Likes