cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

crimegods
Journeyman III

R9 280x : crashing and computer freezes? also fans might not spin?

Providing the information below will get you a faster response from the community.

Describe your system:

• Sapphire - Radeon R9 280x 3gb Dual X VIdeo Card
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • AMD RADEON 18.2.1
  • Display Devices
  • ASUS VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms HDMI Gaming Monitor  using hdmi

• Generic Samsung monitor I had leftover connected with VGA
  • CPU/APU   Intel - Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • RAM
    • Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory   x2 of these, so should be 16GB

Describe your issue:

• It started with Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Siege after the latest OUTBREAK game mode was added. Mid game, the monitors would cut out and show me random colored screens, solid black, or like a brown copper color depending on the predominant color on the game at the time it crashed.  The entire system would then freeze up.  I thought the game itself was the cause of the problem, so I uninstalled it, reinstalled it, lowered graphics to the lowest possible and retested, and the issue came back after a couple of minutes of playing a match.  Same thing.       At this point I thought, maybe its something with the computer, despite this never happening previously: I then updated video drivers, retested. Same issue. I rolled back to previous video driver, retested, same result.  At this point, when I had to force power downs by holding the power button, I would turn it back on and the computer would not boot up. Monitors seemingly were not receiving signal.  
  • I opened the case up and gave everything a good cleaning. After letting it sit for a day or two,  the computer finally booted back up and loaded windows, making me think this may be a heating issue?  I do not know. I am not the most computer literate person, so this was getting me into uncomfortable territory. 
  • Details about applications/games affected (including version number)  : it appears to be tom clancy related, but it seems weird to me that this issue never existed before now.  I have seen the computer crash though after it crashed from tom clancy, and during my tests it would then crash just from loading windows.  So maybe it isnt Tom Clancy as the root cause of the problem but a sympton of a potential hardware failure. 
  • Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings): i normally do 1080p  but i tried reducing resolution on everything. 
  • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue: this is not my video, but the result on the monitor is almost identical:
  • Gigabye Radeon R9 280X flickering/crash - YouTube

I am not sure how to go about figuring this out at this point.  This was my first gaming pc I ever built for myself, with the guidance of a computer wizard friend.

My googling and reading things online seems to indicate it is either a. a gpu failure or potential firmware issue?   or b. a psu power supply voltage dropping failure.

I have no idea how to diagnose it from here, so I am looking to you all for support.

Let me know whats the best way to get to the root of the problem and get this issue resolved.  ITs been a bad week: got laid off last Friday, broke my glasses on Saturday, now this computer issue!  PHEW what a week.   Thank you for your support, and wish me luck!

edit: in further googling i opened the radeon software and tried to set the profile for tom clancy siege, and i set the fans to spin 100% as a test.  Upon itial bootup of the game they do come on 100, but they turn off after 30 seconds or so, and after listening very carefully, i think the fans themselves might be the issue, i dont know if they are ever coming on.  i tried to look in the bios and didnt see any fan related settings.  what could cause the fans to not spin? whats my next troubleshooting step?

0 Likes
2 Replies
plumboby
Miniboss

Thinking its a corrupted OS & PSU failing under load. By the way how old is the PSU aa I go with an update cycle of 2-3 years as PSUs theses days quality has gone more quantity over Quality I Have had good Brand PSU's die with in 18 months from experience issues are PSU related. For the whole system to crash is PSU related had A Haswell do this 3months ago on my stepsons i3 build with a 600w Antec PSU. I threw a cheapy I had in mine lying round that was brand new & fired up no issues to date. Got the same identical 1 in mine atm showing simular signs as this last 1 did as I build 2 at once nearly 2 Years ago exactly. Psu fans rattling like no tomorrow at random times then comes right tho I am watching it regularly. I suggest to try borrow a PSU of  Friend first & try the easiest way of process of eleimnation. If its not PSU then remove Videocard & work your way threw it that way. Even wipe your AMD drivers if PSU is right & still shows symptoms Using DDU & reinstall drivers & do it stage by stage. My advise is check the easy stuff like hardware before going in depth software wise.

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

First off, have you tried it with a single monitor setup?

You have a good quality psu and its plenty powerful enough, doesnt mean that couldnt be the issue though, psu's can drop the ball at any given moment.

I would first look into getting the drivers cleaned and freshly installed.. Uninstall Amd Software in Control Panel/add remove programs,  then run Display Driver Uninsaller in Safe Mode.. Pick the clean and restart amd option in DDU, then reinstall the latest drivers...  Do a google on Display Driver Uninstaller and download and install it first, its a legit program so dont worry about that..  Then youtube how to start win10 in safe mode if you dont know how, its easy..

Something else I have noticed on my amd mining rig recently,  when using windows10, after installing win10 it tries to automatically install some default amd drivers on top of the amd drivers I already have installed and it corrupts the existing driver install.. I turned off windows update on that rig and it doesnt try to do that anymore, this likely wouldnt be an option for you as you would want automatic updates, but something you might tinker with just to rule it out..

0 Likes