cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

thx1138
Adept I

Vertical Lines distortion on youtube etc?

I am not sure if this is related to the video card, software or something else. I have been experiencing vertical lines showing up on youtube videos and other streaming sites. I see this in all browsers: chrome, firefox, opera. I have a Dell M770 monitor and the I also connect my PC to LG42TV. I see the same thing on both. I have a subscription to sling and when viewing live tv I don't seem to have a problem. But streaming archived videos online and some video files I have like mp4s etc the problem shows up. I have a  short screen capture video (mkv) of what I see but I am not sure if posting it would be any kind of violation. I also notice that I have installed latest software and drivers 18.2.2 according to windows programs list but Radeon settings is recommending to install 18.2.1? I am wondering if this something to do with Adobe Flash or DirectX.

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601.24023 Service Pack 1 64-bit.

Motherboard

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (CPUSocket)

CPU

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)

Graphics

DELL M770 (1280x1024@60Hz)

Intel HD Graphics 4000 (ASRock)

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

CrossFire Disabled

11 Replies

You could disable HARDWARE ACCELERATION in the browser to test if it is software or driver/hardware related. Once you know that, you at least know what avenue to pursue. If you disable it and it plays fine you pretty much know it is something video card or the cards drivers or a conflict there off. I too had issue with hardware acceleration in the browser with the first couple Adrenaline drivers but subsequent drivers did fix this.

0 Likes

Disabled Hardware Acceleration on Chrome and I still see the horizontal lines. It's has hard to explain it's like portions of the video lag behind the rest of the video.

0 Likes

Update the driver to 18.3.1 see what you get. Use custom not express and choose clean install.

0 Likes

I have experienced in the past that clean install makes the screen go dark with the progress bar at about 80%. And then nothing happens for a long time forcing me to forcibly reboot.

OK. The clean install worked. It uninstalled and restarted where I installed the new software. When the PC started up again I can see that the AMD settings where not at the taskbar and it doesn't respond when clicking it at the progams list. Also the video performance remains the same.

0 Likes

Actually youtube performance on chrome remains the same but I think it looks better in Opera. Also sling videos on chrome still remain the same. 

0 Likes

Okay if it still isn't installed properly and the clean install didn't get it you may need to take the more brute force method to get everything working again. You probably have some old remnants of drivers in the registry that are not allowing the new driver to overwrite and giving issues on the new install. This is where DDU does a better job. Run DDU  Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download  from  SAFE MODE. Then restart, (i clean the registry with CCleaner before moving on to next step, run it till it comes up no issues)  and do that whole clean install of latest driver again and see if that doesn't get everything working this time. I know this is a PITA, I have had to do this too many times to myself.

0 Likes

I tried doing the install as you said with ccleaner but it didn't make a difference so I did a system restore to before CCleaner was installed. After the SR and using DDU I used autoruns by sysinternals to see what was autorunning in the registry (AMD image). Then afterwards I ran the AMD uninstall utility I got this (AMD1 image). So then I deleted that yellow registry entry because the file was missing. I decided to install [Guru3D.com]-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.2.1-feb28.exe and at reboot I saw that radeon settings were active. Then I decide to install win7-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.2.1-feb7.exe and do a clean install with 18.2.1 which reboots succesfully. But then I get (AMD2 image) and then continue with the install of 18.2.1. After reboot Programs List states I have 18.2.1 but Radeon settings states that it recommends 18.2.1. In all of these installs video performance remains the same and I even checked DirectX to see if that was running correctly and it was according to dxdiag utility. This why I used the original [Guru3D.com]-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.2.1-feb28.exe because it was WHQL. https://postimg.org/gallery/t0c07vd0/

0 Likes

So are you running okay now or not?

0 Likes

No. Unfortunately horizontal lines (horizontal effect) are still there. I'm sorry all this time I meant to say horizontal lines and not vertical lines.

0 Likes
conradarizona66
Journeyman III

I had the same issue

and I solve it by turn off "Use smooth scrolling"

on my Firefox Quantum 58.0.2 browser

0 Likes