7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 9:14 AM by mexer

Issues installing AMD display driver?

mexer

Hello,

Since half a year ago I've been having tremendous trouble installing new drivers for my AMD video graphics card. It's a laptop card, namely: AMD Radeon R7 M265.

Both the windows update and the driver installation from the website (automatic and manual) do not work. I've tried the cleanest possible driver install (safe mode, fresh removal, disabled the automatic driver install from windows etc.).

Basically, during the windows update or the driver installation the system freezes up completely and I have to forcefully restart it. When it starts back up the system freezes up during the Windows 10 loading screen (the white dots rotating - they rotate smoothly, then a bit laggy, then it freezes). After that I have to do a CMD command in Startup repair to be able to continue to windows which either would have reverted to the very old video driver (which does work but is not very good) or, as of now, has no driver installed for the card since I've disabled the windows automatic driver install/update thing (Device Manager for the card shows: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)).

Both the Crimson and minimal setup do not work.

For now, the only apparent solution for me would be to find an old enough driver that would not do this, which would probably be around the first half of 2017. I don't want to revert back to old drivers just because of this; I'm trying to make the new drivers work.

Thank you for reading. What should I do?

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (updated without v.driver)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.20GHz

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 + Dedicated AMD Radeon R7 M265 (2.1 GB VRAM)

RAM: 8 GB