cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

blackknight
Journeyman III

Black Screen Crashes Vega 56

Hello, I have been having black screen crashes in games on my Sapphire Vega 56. Anything from Black Mesa(DirectX 9) to Doom(Vulcan).

I have tried multiple drivers now, reinstalling Windows and I have connected one cable per port from my power supply to the card(Two single daisy chain cables as there were no single connector cables with the Corsair Rm850x). It happens very rarely on the default Wattman power mode but as soon as I put it on Turbo it is pretty much guaranteed to black screen in the near future. One thing I did notice recently with Black Mesa that its pretty reliable to make it crash after about 20 Mins where Doom can be quite random. As Black Mesa barely runs two LEDs on the power draw display I do not think it is power draw at all.

When I contacted Amazon for a replacement they refused and only offered a refund.  When I contacted Sapphire they wanted nothing to do with me because apparently their re-sellers deal with that(I have never experienced this way of doing warranty and I wont be buying Sapphire again because of it). I do not want a refund as I cannot afford to simply buy another card with the current market so I am now forced to keep this defective card so that I can simply turn my PC on.

Any ideas on how I could fix this card or get a replacement because this should not be happening on such an expensive piece of equipment.

0 Likes
3 Replies
jay1131
Adept III

Did you ever get the problem fixed? I am having the same problem with my vega 64 but it seems like it was from recent updates of something that it started doing this. i havent gotten  any tips or suggestions either. i tried radeon 17.7, 18.2-18.8 now. not sure if its windows related or radeon settings because literally anything above +0 on the power slider crashes it. Deus ex is broken game so i had to use 3d mark to troubleshoot. Tried to see if its the power supply but if i play neir automata or prey its fine and ffXIV is random crash. Its not so bad with 18.8 though but still troubleshooting with task manager, radeon settings, and looking at windows crash reports because at times i get directx error from ffxiv but if i look at archived problems its alot but windows report manager says no reports sent to microsoft. Worthless. So dont know what going on yet either.

0 Likes

Hey, unfortunately I didn't, I sent it back to Amazon and got it refunded. I have been waiting for the new Graphics cards coming out in the next month.

From what I could figure out its a power issue with the chip, it seems that the card at certain loads in certain games would just pull too much or not enough power causing the card to crash. Every time I updated to the new drivers it would work for a few days then it would start to play up again. I wanted to support AMD but the card I had was not working within specifications and I couldn't get a replacement, so I had to return for a refund.

I am sorry I can't help but if you can I would return it for another card or a refund.

Yea I dont blame you. I'm trying to support also. I've had my card for a long time now so not worth trying to return and these problems started recent. I'm currently trying a windows bug where they say disable fast boot on startup which is on by default in power options, says has alot of windows bugs. Well good luck on your future endeavours.

0 Likes