cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fresnizky
Newcomer

Install graphics drivers for AMD A12 APU on Ubuntu 17.10

Hi, I have an HP Notebook with an AMD A12-9700P APU with shared memory. I tried installing the propietary drivers on Ubuntu 17.10 64 bits, but I ended up with a login loop and had to uninstall.

I don't plan on gaming or doing anything very graphic intensive, but if I watch a youtube video or something like that my screen starts to flicker like crazy even after closing the browser.

The driver I installed is amdgpu-pro-17.40-492261 I don't know if it's the correct version since the AMD page doesn't list the APUs and there are several versions of Radeon R7, and I don't know exactly which one I have.

Could anyone point me to the correct drivers, or tell me how to solve the login redirect loop?

Thanks,

0 Likes
1 Reply

I can't offer too much help (my Carrizo based A10-8700P based notebook got parted out several months ago when the charging circuit stopped properly detecting a fully charged battery), but instead of installing AMDGPU-PRO, try using the newest 4.15 (or one of the Release candidate's 4.16) kernel's from the mainline PPA.  My particular system would only work properly with a kernel that had AMD's DC stack.  Remember to also boot with the kernel parameter amdgpu.dc=1 otherwise the DC stack won't be enabled.

0 Likes