AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Radeon driver causing slow Windows 10

Question asked by exreuterman on Mar 1, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 2, 2018 by kingfish

Extremely slow startup on HP Pavilion

I have an HP Pavilion PC570 which has SSD windows main drive and which has always been very fast to boot or to wake from sleep mode. HP recommended a AMD Radeon graphics driver upgrade in 16th December 2017 and I believe my problem with extremely slow startup started then. The driver download was sp78753 version 21.19.142.32768 for win 10v1607. If I look in device manager, I see two Radeon Drivers:

AMD Radeon R5 M435

AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

The problem as I see it is that on boot and waking from sleep, if I can get windows 'task manager' running, I see 100% processor usage with the culprit being windows 'system interrupts'. This can last for 3-4 minutes before clearing and then windows behaves normally.

I found that the Driver 'AMD Radeon R5 M435' had an update available which I performed and which cured startup problem, however I could not use it as my Adobe PhotoshopCC had a problem with the graphics and would not run properly so I had to roll back this driver. The error I kept getting when attempting to use PhotoshopCC was 'THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER'.

The AMD Radeon R7 Graphics driver has no update available and there is no rollback available either. So I have to put up with the extremely slow startup problem unless you can suggest a fix.

My windows version is win10 Home version 1709.

Outcomes