cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tobzere
Journeyman III

R9 390 freezing, crashing, black screen, red screen and static noise.

Hello, my pc specs are as follows:

r9 390 MSI

intel i5-6500 3.2Ghz

ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming

corsiair vengenance DDr4 3000Mhz- 16gb

EVGA 850 supernova GS

So I have had issues in the past of occasional black screens or freezes- i used to run this card on a crosshair formula v, but i downsized, hence the i5 and Z170i. On the old AMD setup i never really had major issues, but ever since i built it into the intel system it has been very unstable, it used to black screen say once or twice a month- but these past few weeks it has been unusable, it black screens while watching youtube, amazon prime, twitch.. no error messages are recorded in the log, i have tried a new psu and no solution. same issue.

So recently it has become such an issue that it happens 5 minutes into watching a twitch stream, and i cant even complete a game of dota without it black screening. Occasionally on games such as CSGO or overwatch i have gotten a red screen- but this is less common, and some other times the game just freezes. When it black screens it is joined with a buzzing noise, like static.

It isnt an overheating issue as my temperatures are all around 30 degrees when running full load- watercooled gpu. And having seen so many previous 390s with the same issue i have tried all the suggested, such as turning down voltage etc, the best i got is to play 3 games of dota without a crash- the best i have had in the past year of this current setup.

Any suggestions?

Thank you .

Toby

0 Likes
3 Replies

No error messages ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

hi,

Nope, there is nothing to show the reason behind the crash.... I have checked these reports after it fails and nothing- It feels like the computer is acting normally and its just the graphics card that has failed, occasionally if i have music playing, not outputted through the graphics card, this can still be playing for a while, even with a  black screen or screen crash...

0 Likes

Hello,

So going back and further inspection in reliability Monitor the most recent crashes have been due to INTELCpHDCPSvc.exe, so i am going through and updating everything and making sure that all files are up to date. May not be a card issue afterall

0 Likes