cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

gamer101
Journeyman III

temperature exceeding 80c on idle

Okay so I have a problem with my temperature when I'm idle doing nothing on the computer I just have maybe one or two tabs open and Spotify my temp is at like 83c and I'm pretty when I'm gaming it's going up to like 95 And it's funny because I just bought two case fans thinking that would help decrease temperature but I guess not a week or two ago I unplugged my computer I brought it outside and I used compressed air to get all the dust out and I thought that help but I guess not I really don't know what to do here is it my cable management is it thermal paste wearing off do I need more thermal paste I really don't want to have to redo that but if I have to i will. Is it my GPU failing I just know that at idle it should be around 40 to 50. And at load it should be around 70-80 Max if you have any suggestions let me know I would love to not have 90c... Thanks

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

AMD FX-8350 

Vishera 32nm Technology

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3

MSI 970 GAMING (MS-7693) (CPU 1) 

VG278 (1920x1080@144Hz)

8192MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 480 (ATI)  

447GB PNY CS1311 480GB SSD (SSD) 

0 Likes
2 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello,

It seems to me that there has been a disconnect between the thermal paste/heat shroud and the actual GPU.  I would look up an instructional video on how to reapply thermal paste to your specific GPU and give that a try.  It definitely shouldn't be running as hot as it is.

I would also look at Afterburner. If it is installed..there will be issues with AMD/Wattman settings and controls. Do you have it installed?

A screenshot of your Wattman temperature and fan controls would be helpful:

0 Likes