cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

robertkern
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon HD 4800 video stopped working early February 2018 after Windows 10 Home update.

Are there any legacy drivers that work in the current Windows 10 build? Where do I find them and how do I install them?

Original post has incorrect card number. Sorry. I have the latest legacy driver installed according to the site mentioned in the thread, but video will not play. It gives a black screen. Otherwise, the card is operating as it should.  I realize this is an old card, but it has been a good card and I'm pissed that Microsoft forces updates on otherwise well functioning systems and breaks things in the process. Was hoping there was something I could do, but it isn't looking good.

0 Likes
5 Replies

0 Likes
kiwinadians
Adept II

I am curious what exactly you mean by "not working"? There is a whole thread of people struggling with an update that rolled out mid-Jan to early-Feb that causes a black screen (actually a Thread_stuck_in_driver BSOD). Come check it out and see if the symptoms match: Black Screen When Installing 17.12.2 Drivers HD 7870 Win 7

0 Likes

The poster has win10.

0 Likes

So do many of the users in the posted thread. Your symptoms are just

indicative of an issue many people are having, across several OS variants

as well. It is too coincidental that all of us started experiencing the

same symptoms at around the same time.

Check out the solutions we have tried and see if they might help,

regardless of the OS.

0 Likes

Are you sure all of the "many of the users in the posted thread" have unsupported graphics cards that don't meet Win10 minimum requirements and have been told that by AMD and Microsoft from day 1? I doubt it. We are talking about HD 4000 graphics... Or are you trying to flame the post? You really don't know what you are talking about do you?

Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series

Article Number: GPU-624

ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization in October, 2013.

No additional driver releases are planned for these products.

The last operating system supported using the AMD drivers was Microsoft Windows® 8 with the AMD Catalyst 13.1 driver package, which can be downloaded from the AMD Driver page : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Driver support for these products under Windows® 8.1 and Windows® 10 is only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update to allow it to automatically detect and install display driver version 8.970.100.9001

If your system is equipped with one of these products, you may consider the following options:

• Continue using the last operating system that fully supported your graphics card.
    • Upgrade to an AMD graphics product that provides Windows® 10 support. For information about resellers and product availability, visit: http://shop.amd.com
      • NOTE: Before upgrading ensure that your system meets the requirements of the graphics adapter, such as:
        • Motherboard with compatible graphics card slot
        • Adequate power supply unit to handle the complete system power requirements
        • Display with compatible connections