cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

trenton
Journeyman III

Buying new AMD Radeon Graphics?

Hello I want to switch from a 2GB graphics card to 4GB, since I believe that's what most Console games are using and I "need" to do some more serious gaming with immersive experiences.

What I need help with is compatibility or the most efficient graphics upgrade, and to know if I have a bottleneck aside from my graphics card, all feedback is appreciated.

I can already play all modern games it's just a question of my graphic settings in-game, in Dark Soul 3 currently I'm on medium-low and I want to max everything, just to give you an idea of my personal benchmark.

Requirements:

Used or new is fine

$700 Canadian limit (fun fact I paid $480 CA for this PC)

Prefer online purchases

Quality to play the "majority" of games on high-ultra graphics

Specs copied from AMD Radeon Settings

Radeon Software Version - 17.4.4

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Memory Size - 2048 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 938 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

System Memory - 8 GB

CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Device ID - 6939

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 200F

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1787

Revision ID - 00

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version - 015.046.000.021

BIOS Part Number - 113-T41G02-002L

BIOS Date - 2014/08/19 22:37

Memory Size - 2048 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1375 MHz

Core Clock - 938 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 176 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 5.50 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

0 Likes
1 Solution
plumboby
Miniboss

go with the lesser rx 500 series of cards still good value for price power quality & go as good as any vegas atm. I recomend the mid range rx series as still a few of them around & so under rated cards for what they are & price & settings & games played with multitasking & other activities. I swear by my rx560 minus drivers being horrible & only new to the AMD graphics card range as the price was right & great value for the oomph & preformance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
plumboby
Miniboss

go with a Rx560 OC 4G they are good cards I got 1 myself they are great cards for the price. Another option could be go with the rx570 OC4G or rx580 if you can find 1 cheap enough but threw out the whole range can play most new release games @ medium. My Sapphire Pulse rx560oc 4G I got brand new boxing days sales $200 nz goes prety good can play the Witcher3 on medium without struggling smooth as butter even playing the Alpha release of The Hunt showdown at 30-40 fps without an issue. Comes to your budget & what your looking for. The 560 range is the budget but range where it give a gtx 1050ti a run for there $ better than they ever been reviewed. Great for price & power. tho any of the 500 range from 60 onwards are good cards.

will advise tho you will need to be running 10 to get the most from these new cards as 8.1 isnt supported & a new PSU of above 500w to take as consideration. Its why when I bought my new card I went for price & allowed in my budget for a new PSU as a safe guard safenet

0 Likes

I'm looking at this RX 560 https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics-RX560-O4G-EVO/dp/B076FL47B7/ref=pd_sbs_147_3?_encod...

and RX 550

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-Radeon-Graphics-RX550-4G-Graphic/dp/B06ZY7QL8M/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding...

These are both 4 GB GDDR5 but the 550 is cheaper, why is that?

These are both ASUS Radeon I think they're compatible with my specs right?

What variety do I have with my info to use different graphics cards? Anything Radeon?

0 Likes

Want to max everything you're going to need a Vega 56 or Vega 64, both of which are well over $1000 CAD thanks to the cryptocurrency miners, plus you're going to need a faster CPU.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

go with the lesser rx 500 series of cards still good value for price power quality & go as good as any vegas atm. I recomend the mid range rx series as still a few of them around & so under rated cards for what they are & price & settings & games played with multitasking & other activities. I swear by my rx560 minus drivers being horrible & only new to the AMD graphics card range as the price was right & great value for the oomph & preformance.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

radeon is fine I got a sapphire pulse rx560oc 4Gcan handle games like the witcher 3 mediums settings no issues most modern games run without issues the 55 only for e sports e gaming media card. The 560 is base range gaming and these cards go realy well I am impressed give a 1050ti a run for there $ even 1060s no issues. Saphire cards naturally have better OC frequencys better cards than any 3rd party cards tho u cant go wrong with asus or gigabyte.

0 Likes
trenton
Journeyman III

Thank you everyone for the input

I just purchased an:

ASUS Radeon RX 550 4G GDDR5 DP HDMI DVI AMD Graphics Card (RX550-4G)

If this new one doesn't work the way I want it I'll use my warranty and switch for something stronger, and I'll come back to review your suggestions again.

Cheers!

0 Likes

Good luck with a warranty claim based on some noob suggestion of a card to run high/max settings for your games.

If you want some serious/real advice, post INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

An R9 200 is not enough(download/install gpu-z, use the 'Lookup' function to find exact model of card).

Before you take advice from someone, check their history.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

the 550 be very weak card only good for e sports titles really & streaming its why I went the 560 for something beefier tho I dont game alot of the time either I do alot of reading & forum work & help.

0 Likes