Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

blutlinde
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3 2200g compatibel with linux?

hello

does anyone got experience with a ryzen 3 2200g apu with a linux distribution 64bit?

i think i will buy it and use 4GB 2400 mhz ddr4 ram till the prices getting lower then i will buy

more and higher ram

is this ok for a linux system?

0 Likes
3 Replies
storzer
Journeyman III

So I am now the proud owner of a 2200g with 16GB of  ram, my intention was to use this for a server, now I could do just that currently, I have Linux Mint Debian Edition loaded onto an SSD, no graphics support, makes sense, Debian uses old kernels. Tried Linux Mint 18.2, upgraded to the 4.15 kernal, no joy, CPU rendering still. Have tried Manjaro, using the 4.15 kernal, nope, using the 4.16 kernal, nope, I might add I have to boot both of those from fallback mode as the built one still has no idea how to address the APU. I'm going to try the closed source driver in a few though and get back to it here.  I will read https://www.phoronix.com/  and see if I can find a solution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was fast, there are no AMD_GPU_PRO  drivers available yet, the only driver downloads are for windows, so no to that, back to phoronix.

0 Likes

OK, so at 3am I finally got the system up and running using the AMDGPU open source stack, I had to use Ubuntu's lovely new beta to do so. But it was working, got cinnamon ( what is that terrible default DE?) and steam installed and spent the morning doing benchmarks, that little guy performs very well, runs halflife2 lost coast on max with 70 FPS avg. So I decided to reboot, and now it doesn't want to start, so digging into the logs go I.

0 Likes
kitchm
Adept I

Yeah, it just doesn't work right, even with the latest "firmware".  Bizarre company politics is my guess.

I just tried the very fine installer for Debian Buster with included firmware, and no go.  At this point I am wondering if I must buy a new motherboard with an Intel processor.  Bummer.

0 Likes