Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

xenongts
Journeyman III

0_ after bios

Hi people,

I bought a r7 250x yesterday. With the card installed PC doesnt boot.

There's no signal with the new card. My GTS 250 still works fine but i cant figure out why the r7 250x doesnt want to work. I tried it in a different PC and everything was fine so its not the cards fault.

I tried: updating bios, removing ram sticks, different psu, removing mobo battery and uninstalling nvidia drivers.

I changed some little things in the bios and now the R7 250x gives a signal. It shows the intel screen with bios and boot menu options and then goes black with a 0_ in the lower right corner. Boot menu doesnt let me boot into safe mode or anything, just shows my hdd. Tried booting windows from usb, same thing.

Is it actually possible that my motherboard does not support this card? Its a intel dp55wb. Its ~5 years older than the graphics card but i still cant figure this out. Whats really strange is the 0_ on the screen after intel logo.

According to my research this issue is common with Intel DP and DX series motherboards(like mine) and newer graphics cards(mostly R9 series). Users report that windows starts even though the screen is black with the 0_ in the corner. This can be tested by plugging in and then unplugging a device(dun dun sound from windows). In this case some users use team viewer to install AMD drivers and fix the issue. I can not hear this sound so im pretty sure windows is not starting. Intel being intel couldnt be bothered to fix it so right now the only fix seems to be a new motherboard.

I tried reseting bios settings to see if that fixes it and in the process lost my RAID0 configuration. Almost had a heart attack then i restored it. phew.

Any ideas on what to do?

0 Likes
1 Reply
tmdmat
Journeyman III

So, I experienced this issue with a DP55SB board and a RX 460 card. For me, it was true that Windows was starting up despite the screen showing 0_ on the bottom right corner. You said your windows didn't start?

You could get a second video card, plug it in, then plug in your AMD card in the second PCIe slot, and in windows (using the video outout of the non-AMD card), install the drivers for the R9 card.

I was able to get my RX 460 to work by using a second video card to completely uninstall AMD drivers, installing TeamViewer on the PC, set TeamViewer to start with windows, set a permanent password for TeamViewer (teamviewer asks you to do this when you set it to start with windows), write down the ID for TeamViewer, shut down, remove the second video card, install the RX 460, boot the PC, then go to my secondary PC, install teamviewer, then use teamviewer to log into the PC with the no video. And what do you know, windows was fully working on the PC, despite still showing 0_ on the screen. So, from there, I installed the latest drivers for the RX 460, then Restart. On the restart, 0_ still shows after the bios, but the screen came on when Windows loaded. So, it's not a PCIe slot problem, a backward compatibility problem, video card problem, it's a motherboard bios problem.

Anyway, I can use the PC now, just without visibility of the PC until windows loads.

0 Likes