Just downloaded the 1/31/2018 Windows Update. Has two fixes concerning strictly AMD hardware (GPU & CPU). Here is the Fixes and Known Issues also Windows Update shows failure to install when the Update was actually successfully installed. I got this error when updating but computer shows the update installed:
January 31, 2018—KB4058258 (OS Build 16299.214)
Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
- Addresses issue where users of Microsoft and Azure Active Directory accounts may see the password prompt repeatedly.
- Addresses a performance degradation observed in applications making heavy use of the .NET System.Diagnostics.StackTrace class.
- Addresses a compatibility issue where colors are distorted on some displays and televisions that have 10-bit or higher color depth.
- Addresses a condition where a second monitor that is connected to legacy AMD display adapters flashes after waking from sleep.
- Addresses issue that causes delays when switching keyboard languages using Alt+Shift.
- Addresses compatibility issues when rendering certain closed captions or subtitle formats during video playback.
- Addresses issue where the Microsoft Edge Allow Extension Group Policy for the disabled state was not working.
- Provides additional protections for 32-bit (x86) versions of Windows 10, version 1709.
- Resolves the issue reported by some customers on a small subset of older AMD processors where the processor entered an unbootable state after installing January 3, 2018—KB4056892 (OS Build 16299.192).
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
Known issues in this update
|Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 failed to install because of error 0x80070643.|
Even though the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update failed to install. To verify the installation, select Check for updates to confirm that there are no additional updates available.
You can also type About your PC in the Search box on the taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
|Because of an issue that affects some versions of antivirus software, this fix applies only to computers on which the antivirus ISV updated the ALLOW REGKEY.|
Contact your antivirus manufacturer to verify that their software is compatible and that they have set the following REGKEY on the computer:
|After installing this update, some users may experience issues logging into some websites when using third-party account credentials in Microsoft Edge.||Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.|
How to get this update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4058258.
Last Updated: Feb 7, 2018