Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Radeon HD 7970
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Discrete Desktop Graphics
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64-bit (Education Edition)
  • Driver version installed
    • 17.50.02 is partially installed (Display Driver Failed to install)
  • Display Devices
    • Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard (BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F2, 7/24/2015)
  • CPU/APU
    • i7 6700k by Intel
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
  • RAM
    • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK

------------------------------------------

My issue is that I receive Error 1603 when attempting to install the latest driver from AMD's site (which indicates my card is still supported). I went to the linked page and attempted all of the suggested steps for troubleshooting, to no avail. This issue came to my attention when I updated Windows and suddenly I was unable to use my GPU in a game (Divinity Original Sin 2), as it couldn't detect it. I then attempted to update the drivers and got Error 1603. Device Manager cannot detect the Display Device as a result. I've already rolled back my version of Windows in an attempt to fix it that way, as it seemed to have broke only when I updated to the new version of Windows 10. I've attached a number of screenshots to illustrate the issue.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope that you can help.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
2 Replies

You need to update your Motherboard's BIOS and Intel Management Chip set: GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Intel Management Engine Interface

(Note) Please update the latest BIOS for ME Firmware before installing this driver.

Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities

[11.7.0.1054]

72.37 MB

2017/11/30

Asia China America Europe

Europe(Russia)

BIOS Update:

F22g

5.53 MB

2018/01/11

Asia China America Europe

Europe(Russia)

Update CPU Microcode

You also have Intel VGA  fairly recent Update plus some Gigabyte Utilities that you may need to update to update the above mentioned.