cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

consuetudo
Journeyman III

monitors turn black, the the pc freezes

During WoW and PoE the screens connected to the 480 turn black, the sound continues for 3-6 seconds then everything freezes. The

crashes occour a lot faster in WoW and even faster in raids, ~ 2h openworld ~5m-2h in raids.

I have not seen gpu temps above 73°C when gaming.

Tried multiple driver versions, with and without deinstalling via ddu. crashes occour on all versions.

In ~95% of crashes only the Kernel Power reset shows up in the eventviewer without a stopcode or bsod, however 2 of minidmps somehow

jumped into existence. the third was a bsod during a driver upgrade installation.

i also tried turning the intel gpu thing off and on, with and without drivers, with and with a monitor connected to the displayport of it, didnt change a thing.

XFX 8GB D5 RX 480 GTR DD

i5-6600K

Corsair DIMM 16GB DDR4-2400

Asus Z170 PRO GAMING Rev.X0X

BIOS 09/19/2016 2003

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 650W

Qnix 2710 2560x1440@60h (DVI-D)

Asus 24 L PB248Q 1900x1200@60h (Displayport)

win7 64bit

all important updates installed

t

ested with driver versions

WoW Legion graphic settings 10 in the open world

5 in raids

path of exile did not change the standard graphic settings

no overclock on the gpu

overclock undone on the cpu after the first crash

During WoW and PoE the screens connected to the 480 turn black, the sound continues for 3-6 seconds then everything freezes. The

crashes occour a lot faster in WoW and even faster in raids, ~ 2h openworld ~5m-2h in raids.

I have not seen gpu temps above 73°C when gaming.

Tried multiple driver versions, with and without deinstalling via ddu. crashes occour on all versions.

In ~95% of crashes only the Kernel Power reset shows up in the eventviewer without a stopcode or bsod, however 2 of minidmps somehow

jumped into existence. the third was a bsod during a driver upgrade from 16.7.2 to 17.12.1 .

i also tried turning the intel gpu thing off and on, with and without drivers, with and with a monitor connected to the displayport of it, didnt change a thing.

0 Likes
2 Replies

First and foremost in wattman look for power limit, just below the fan settings. Slide that to the right to 50, this is the +50 setting that is spoken about in forums everywhere. So some RX480s can only go to +20, not +50 this is fine and normal,  just set it to the max for your card. The RX480 and RX580 are often power starved by default driver settings and need a bit of a boost! This is perfectly safe and is still in the normal operating range for your card. It's not an overclock. This will likely give you the stability you are looking for. If this does not work by itself, In control panel set your power options to high performance, if it is not already. For a good explanation of what the power limit does read the best answer on this link: Power limit on RX480 - [Solved] - Graphics Cards - Tom's Hardware

Do a shutdown not restart after making these changes, then give it a try!

If this doesn't help in the driver you are using I highly recommend you reinstall the latest optional driver. 18.1.1, even if it is the one you have installed. Run DDU available here first from safe mode: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.2  Make sure to do a clean install when installing the driver, it is an option to check when installing. Get it here: Desktop 

Then make sure to re-apply the max power limit setting for your card.

Your not alone, my machine does the same thing in every time randomly in every game but more frequently in some if my power limit is at default. XFX (as well as others)  needs to raise the power in their bios and they don't appear to do bios updates. A couple makers actually are good about fixing their issues.  Most of us were fighting this issue since last March. The adrenaline drivers with the +50 finally make things stable. Still other issues going on though.

Good luck!

locodicegr
Miniboss

If it does it with all the drivers its a power problem check your other components of the system.

0 Likes