cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ammar1994
Journeyman III

Adrenalin Edition 17.12.1 drivers are being required to roll back after updating my system?

Hello,

Please note: the specs and details of my system are below the question.

One of the games I play is a standard low-mid tier online  game: Runescape. For the past few weeks, it has been telling me that my graphics driver is 564 old and needs to be updated. it provided me with this link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/apu?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

After downloading both 'AMD minimal setup' and 'Radeon Software', I restarted my laptop and noticed that in the device manager one of the display adapters has changed from R6 M340dx to R5 M330. I did not think much of it. I played runescape and the notification icon had gone away.

The problem was when I played Counter-strike Global offensive; Normally I play in medium settings but I had problems and the laptop was heating up to 75 degrees Celsius. Before the driver update it would go up to about 60 degrees Celsius. I lowered the settings and still experienced the same issue. Furthermore, before the game server would start my screen would flash a few times and would freeze for 10 seconds before allowing me to start playing the game on a Steam managed server.

After that, I went to device manager, and clicked onto display adapter and clicked onto search for any online updates for my newly installed R5 M330. To my surprise an update was found and installed; I restarted my laptop and the device manager showed that my laptop has gone BACK to R6 M340dx?

I am confused now. If R6 M340dx is superior to R5 M330, why did the AMD website tell me to update my drivers in the first place?

Am I installing the graphics driver correctly?

Please view the screenshots and if you have any question or require further details please let me know.

P.S. this is my first time posting on the forums; I apologize if I have made a mistake or not followed procedure correctly.

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Dual graphics;           AMD Radeon R6 Graphics & AMD Radeon R6 M340DX
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Laptop; Lenovo Thinkpad E465, AMD A10-8700p , 1.80 Ghz - 3.2 GHz
  • Operating System
    • E.g. Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • I do not know but one of the games I play has continues to say that my driver is 6 months old and needs to be updated from manufacturer's website (I.e. AMD) and I am provided the link to: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/apu?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064 ;Radeon Software Crimson Edition ReLive Graphics Driver Installer for Windows 10 64-Bit
  • Display Devices
    • I use a 1080p 60Hz display in Duplicate mode
    • My laptop's screen is  14" 1080p IPS, 60Hz
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • I do not know
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD A10 - 8700p
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Power supply is 65 WAtt standard Lenovo ac adapter
  • RAM
    • 16GB RAM DDR3l

0 Likes
2 Replies

The notice of a new driver does not mean you have to install it.

AMD offers generic Mobility drivers....the identifier can be different than the OEM graphics chip identifier. It is normal.

Radeon R530 showing up as R7 M440 after software Upgrade - Dual Graphics Laptop

No....you do not download both the full and the 'minimal setup...all wrong.

Please read this...Laptop graphics update...How to

Configuring Laptop Switchable Graphics on a Windows® Based System

ammar1994
Journeyman III

Thank you for your response, @

kingfish

I apologize for checking it late but I thought I would receive a notification in my email when there is been a new post to the thread.
So are you suggesting that I should simply ignore the notifications from my game client saying that "your current graphics drivers are 600 days old. New drivers are available at AMD's site"-->link to adrenaline?
0 Likes